Garage Find Recommendations Inquiry

tjs330

Hello,

I visited my Dad in Scottsdale, AZ this past week.  He still has my old 1990 Buick Reatta in his garage.  He said that he has not driven it since 2008.  It is in extremely good condition; however obviously needs a good going over to be put back into driving condition.

I have two questions that I am hoping you can help point me in the right direction to answer:

1. What is the most efficient way to transport this vehicle from AZ to VA?  I know there are a lot of companies that do this; however I am looking for recommendations.  There is no urgency; I am more concerned with getting a cost effective, quality transport.

2. Where would be the best place to transport the car that will go through it thoroughly and ensure it is in full driving condition?  I suspect all wear parts should be replaced?  Belts, hoses, tires, spark plugs, etc?  The belts and hoses look fine, but that doesn't mean that they are road worthy.  The tires are flat, and although show very little tread wear, I do see indications of dry rot.  I'm thinking all fluids should be drained and refilled?  I can do the basic repairs/replacements.  I've changed the hood shocks, battery, antenna assembly, and stuff like that.  I've rebuilt the headlight actuator gearboxes on my brother's Reatta.  I can do any cosmetic work.  I just need someone more knowledgeable than me to make sure the engine/drivetrain are 100% good to go.

This car is a 1990 hard top model, approximately 65,000 miles, grey metallic and generally very clean inside and out.

Any recommendations and/or other advice you can offer is most appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Tim Stephan
Williamsburg, VA 

20210312_140518.jpg

20210315_105031.jpg

20210315_114520.jpg

20210315_114549.jpg

20210315_114608.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Sorry, I can't help you with shipping recommendations. I've never had a car shipped. Nor can I recommend someone to repair it. I do all the work on my Reatta myself.

I can tell you from first hand experience that you don't want to drive on those tires. I had some dry rotted tires on my Reatta when I bought it. I drove it some with the bad tires and one day a lump developed on one tire the size of an egg. I was lucky that I had just pulled out of the driveway and didn't get up to speed when it happened. If would have likely blown out when I got up to speed. It could have been catastrophic. Don't take a chance with driving on those tires.

Very nice looking Reatta. I really like that color. It must have been painted at some point. Reatta mirrors were all painted black at the factory as far as I know.

Thanks for the responses!  I was afraid to even put air into these tires, although they'd probably take 10 psi.  I hate to pitch them, but I cannot imagine trying to drive on them.  This car has never been painted.  The mirrors are black as original, although they do not show well in the pictures I posted.  Thanks again!  Tim

• Like 1

Good looking car for sure. A lot depends on how the car was stored. It sounds like it was indoors in a relatively dry climate if I read the location right. Temperature extremes make for condensation in cold climates but maybe okay where it is. I would drain the fuel tank before trying to start it. Run it out through the feed at the rail with the fuel pump test lead

• Agree 1

Having have had a couple of cars shipped in the past, I've had relatively good luck with https://www.uship.com.  Shipping a car all the way across country using an open carrier is going to cost a bunch over $2K.