89 Reatta power steering cooler leak

fun car guy

The power steering cooler on my '89 has a pin hole and is squirting fluid (never knew there was such a thing).  The replacement isn't expensive at $25.00 but I'm hoping Bars leak will stop it. Has anyone replaced one?

1 hour ago, fun car guy said:

I'm hoping Bars leak will stop it.

I think you are just prolonging your misery. If it was just oozing fluid Bar's Leaks might be OK, but if it's squirting you are expecting a lot from Bar's Leaks if you think it's going to stop the leak for good.  If the Bar's Leaks gives out on you somewhere away from home you might regret not fixing it right the first time.

• Like 1

You're right of course, I had to lie on my back to see the cooler and it looks like an easy job.  At first I thought it was the rack and pinion!  I think I'll go ahead and order a new one.  By the way, I had the car out of the garage today, let it idle for almost half an hour and the idle speed went down to about 850 RPM once it was warmed up, do you think that's about right for this engine?  Been hearing that the engine is a very good one, best GM ever made and is capable of being reliable to 300,000 miles with proper care.  Mine is slightly better since the tune-up but runs a little rough until It smooths out at 3000 RPM., still haven't found the problem but will look into the throttle position sensor. 

Thanks Ronnie.

• Like 1

I always thought that idle speed was suppose to be around 750rpm in Park at warm-up (?).

Maybe so, I was told my cold idle was too high and suggested I check out the throttle position sensor. I read on the net that you can adjust it by turning the ignition on and stomping on the accelerator five times within five seconds. I checked out the air filter and the hose to the throttle body,  looked clean but found someone had left the clamps on the hose loose so I tightened them but it's no better.

32 minutes ago, ship said:

I always thought that idle speed was suppose to be around 750rpm in Park at warm-up (?).

That is about where mine idles when warm. Cold RPM is higher and varies but is should come down to that when warm.

31 minutes ago, fun car guy said:

I read on the net that you can adjust it by turning the ignition on and stomping on the accelerator five times within five seconds.

I've never heard about adjusting the TPS by stomping the accelerator. I don't guess it wouldn't hurt to try that if you don't stomp hard enough to break the accelerator cable but I personally think it would be a waste of time.

Read through this topic and it will give you information about testing and adjusting the TPS: Buick reatta code E021

You almost have it with stomping the throttle 5 times in 5 seconds. What they left out is while you are stmping the throttle you have to be sucking on your left thumb while scratching your right ear with your left index finger. If you can do that you should be good...

• Haha 2

Could be idle air control valve too maybe?  Perhaps you could provide a video with sound of the idle after warmup. That could give us a better idea.  I bet it's a loose vacuum hose or bad pcv valve honestly. That can easily cause a bit of a rough idle.