'89 Reatta tune up time

fun car guy

As I stated before, I just recently bought this car and it was running rough so decided it was time to look into things.  I pulled this plug from cylinder #1 and now I know why!  naturally, all matter of dire answers were running through my head so I'm greatly relieved.  Tell me, have you ever seen such a worn out spark plug?

0.jpg

0.jpg

1 hour ago, fun car guy said:

Tell me, have you ever seen such a worn out spark plug?

What brand is it? That is the way a Bosch Platinum plug electrode normally looks. Can't tell by the photo much about amount of carbon build up on it.

6706front__ra_p.jpg

They're Bosch but, unlike the one pictured, only the center of the electrode remains.  My new ones are AC Delco and the electrodes are the usual, think Bosch is a better choice?

I like ACDelco but most name brand spark plugs are good. Are the electrodes covered with soot like it appears in your photo or is that just a shadow?

Yes, covered with soot, I'm assuming it because of poor combustion.

If you're concerned that the car is burning oil, I've seen fouled plugs before and this one doesn't look like that, just a little soot.

When I see that soot it makes me wonder if it's caused by not enough spark or too much fuel.

Well, I haven't had it out on the road yet but, because of the condition of the old plugs, I'm betting on not enough spark, time will tell.  There's also the issue of it not being driven for two years, the gas could be bad.  I threw in a bottle of dry gas and thinking I will put in some Sea Foam detergent too just as an added measure, the tank is about half full.

• Like 1

It does look like a fine wire type plug. I haven't ever seen a conventional center electrode reduced to that shape. Usually it erodes to a rounded shape? I have seen the side electrode missing all together. Our waste spark ignition fires each pair of plugs in opposing directions so if a platinum plug is desired, it should be double platinum. JMO  I don't put enough miles on, plus I change engines, so I just use conventional type plugs. Again, JMO

If changing plugs cures the roughness, I would run the car for a while to give it a chance to clean itself up. If there has been a lot of idling and short runs while trying to evaluate the issues, the plugs likely will be less than ideal.

This car was owner by a string of three ladies so it's very clean inside, outside as well as under the hood.  Also, I have a pile of repair receipts so I'm pretty sure it's been taken care of.  However, it's likely been driven mostly on short trips and has been sitting idle for two years so once I get it tuned up, I'll take it out on the expressway and give it some exercise, likely finding some rattles and squeaks to be removed. 

I have a pile of repair receipts too so I know it's been cared for, new gas tank and lines, rotors and a new caliper, replaced the water pump as well as all the injectors.   

This car continues to surprise me as last night I want out to the garage, just touched the door handle and the interior lights as well as the door lock lit up, very cool!

23 hours ago, 2seater said:

But does it do "the show"??

So I'm curious, what is "the show"?  Do the converts do it too?

Btw, if you do wires too. I highly recommend the Belden ones from NAPA. I'm very happy with them. 

20210205_000515.jpg

30 minutes ago, Philbo said:

The light show is self test routine that the Instrument Panel and the CRT displays when the driver opens the door, gets in the car and then closes the door. Opening the passenger door will not start the light show. The link below should open in Windows Media Player on your computer and display a video of what the light show looks like in the '88 & '89 models. Not available in later models.

videos icon smallClick Here To Watch The Light Show Video

10 hours ago, Philbo said:

Btw, if you do wires too. I highly recommend the Belden ones from NAPA. I'm very happy with them. 

20210205_000515.jpg

Having bought a set of wires from Auto Zone, I notice there are no metal shields on the ends that connect to the plugs like the ones that came with my car, dose that make a difference?

11 hours ago, Philbo said:

Mine doesn't,  How do you make it do "the show?" 

5 minutes ago, fun car guy said:

Mine doesn't,  How do you make it do "the show?" 

Open the driver's door and get in. I don't remember if it starts as soon as the door is opened or when you close it back. I think it's when you close the door.

Nope, no show, both screens remain dark until I turn on the ignition.  Then everything comes alive but no show like the one in the video.

I can't offer much help with the no show. I've never had that problem. I think there might be a problem with a door switch that's keeping it from working but I'm not sure.