Remove the black plactic liner panel from the passenger side footwell:
- Remove torx fasteners along the front edge (4 I think)
- Remove two wing nuts on the firewall
- Set the panel out of the way.
Removing the black plastic liner panel will reveal several pneumatic (air) lines taped up there, and a cluster of multi-wire harness connectors. That's the bottom of the ECM.
Remove the ECM:
- Peel back the carpeting to give you a little more clearance.
- Each harness connector has blue (I think it is) latches, you have to squeeze them together and pull each of the connectors out.
- Standing on your head often helps! Look slightly upwards and you'll find a plastic molded bracket attached to the ECM case. Look closer and you'll see I think it's one fastener, "torx" type. Remove that fastener
- Tug the ECM down out of it's slot. Mine is a really tough pull, it's really snug in there! Mean time stretch the air lines to one side to allow the ECM to pass.
Reverse these steps to reinstall.
There's a small (1-1/2" by 5") cover on one end of the ECM case secured with two hex head screws. Removing that cover exposes the PROM.