Battery drainage update

Bertimus

So a over a month ago I was experiencing the fabled battery drainage that is commonly associated with Reattas. Many attribute the drainage to a variety of parasitic draw issues usually from something electrical because of the car's numerous futuristic features (for it's time)

My 88 had an aftermarket Interstate battery. For the most part Interstate batteries are considered very reliable batteries. 

When I presented the drainage issue to my mechanic he suggested that all it needed was the EXACT battery that was designed for the car. I was skeptical. He contacted AC Delco and gave them my vin and ordered their suggestion.

It's been over a month (I wanted to wait to test it out) and so far it seems to have resolved my issue (knock on wood! ?). I really only drive the car once every one or two weeks, so it sits quite a bit. I'm relieved to report it's been starting like a charm. With the interstate battery I had to jump it at least once a week, before I decided to put it on a tender. I'll report back on here in a month or two with another update.

Just thought I'd share this learning experience and hopefully save a future newbie (like myself) a headache or two

The battery is an AC Delco Gold 78VGP / G011R (comes with 42 month warranty) and is pictured below (double click image to enable zoom):

20210125_142324.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I'm back with another update: the 88 sat for exaclty one month without being turned on, and she started right up! Very happy with this battery and very much worth the extra money. Will post any future updates here.

• Like 3

Well I'll be! My 90 has had similar battery problems. I had no idea it was a common issue with these cars.

I'm gonna try the new battery , Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

Thanks Ronnie! I've already picked up some information on the battery that hopefully will end the drainage issue I have with my '90 Reatta.

I've "been there, done that" with the following on my car over the years:

Headlight rollers and bell cranks

Horn buttons

Instrument cluster

Headlight switch

ABS unit

Cassette player (I replaced the unit with an aftermarket  for the time being but still have OE unit).

At the moment I'm wrestling with just the battery draining and a leaking driver side window (top is three years old)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, artibus said:

Well I'll be! My 90 has had similar battery problems. I had no idea it was a common issue with these cars.

I'm gonna try the new battery , Thanks for the info!

If I can save the headaches I went through for a fellow Reatta owner, then I feel like I'm positively contributing to the community! An alternative solution that many people have resorted to are killswitches! It's so common that I see Reattas all the time for sale with the switches already installed. Happy to help

• Like 4

AC Delco has been my battery of choice in any Buick and/or Caddy I've ever owned (they are factory correct batteries).  I do attach a battery tender to my current Reatta & Eldo during winter storage due to them not being started while in storage from Dec 'til April.