'90 Subframe Bushings

bnaatds

New to the Reatta world so forgive me if this a stupid question but... my subframe bushings are rusted pretty bad. I've got the front end suspension torn down and it would seem the opportune time to try and change these. Is the procedure listed here on the ROJ correct also for a 1990? Those front two bushings look totally different than the rearward other 4. ROJ procedure says replace all 6 with the same bushing but just wondering if this applied to all model years or if the 90 was different. Thanks for any help on this, just not wanting to start something that might not be possible to finish!

Pictures of the rear two and the front one on the driver's side... also wondering why the gap between the top of the subframe and the car body is so much smaller on the rear 4 mounts that the gap on the front two mounts?

DSC00475.JPG

DSC00477.JPG

Edited by bnaatds

The procedure is the same for all 4 years. There may have been different bushings for the front two but as our cars are so old and those parts are discontinued we are now using the one size fits all procedure. 

Be sure to get the correct bolts as the ones in the Dorman kit are the wrong thread.

• Thanks 1

The four rear mounts are the critical ones, the front being more of a locator. The Dorman mounts we are using now have a greater contact area and seem to really tighten up the front end. The correct bolts are available through GM dealerships online and I have found the shipping charge to be a relatively fixed amount so ordering extra makes the per unit cost less. Bolt part number is 11517635

• Thanks 1

I updated the How-to guide on replacing cradle bushings with a warning to make it clearer that the bolts that come with the Dorman bushings will not work on the Reatta.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Greetings! I am new to the Reatta and started working on the cradle bolts. I started with the worse one that had the bushing all rusted out (I am in Minnesota and rust is our enemy!). I read all the directions on getting it out (PB every day for a week, heat, slow turning back and forth) but it was so rust-welded that it twisted off. I need help as to how to get it out of there. I have seen the pictures of others that have had their engines drop and I don't want that happening to me, so I plan on doing all 6 but this could be problematic if this happens to the other 5 (and it most likely will). Any and all assistance would be greatly welcomed!

• Agree 1

Is this correct ? 1984-1994 GM M12x1.75x100 Multi-Purpose Bolt 11517635

Looks like the 1.75 pitch is the odd part.

Edited by Padgett

21 hours ago, LittleRed said:

Any and all assistance would be greatly welcomed!

Living in the south I've never had a problem with the cradle bushings so I can't offer much help. Here is a link to a thread about the rusted bolts in the cradle bushings. Maybe it will be helpful.  Engine Cradle Bolt Problem