Pre-buy inspection

Giacomo

Hi Guys,

may I ask your help in the purchase process?

In Switzerland are only a handful of these beauties Running and I‘m short before getting the only one available for sale.

It‘s a 89er with about 60k miles which passed the Veteran check last year in Switzerland without problems. What I found out so far that tape deck is defect and the headliner is not in the best condition.

I‘m not sure about rust, is that a common issue? I just saw a few spots underfloor. 
is there anything I should check more specifically?

Thanks for your advice

BR Giacomo

Welcome to the forum! A bad tape deck is a common problem. They can be repaired but most people don't. A Reatta had a very good paint job from the factory, including dipping the body in primer, so I don't consider them prone to rusting and they are probably above average in that respect. However, the underside of the car is where you should check closely for rust, especially where the engine cradle mounts to the body. The photo below will explain why.

Here is a list of things to check that might help you. What should I check when buying a Reatta?

cradle_rust.jpg

• Agree 1

Thanks Ronnie,

good advices. Tomorrow I‘got the next meeting with the owner, keep you updated.

Btw. I found a Reatta supercharged in Switzerland for sale for about 5500 $ 

Cheers

Giacomo

• Like 1

Two things to be replaced, the cassette deck and the right wing mirror. Anything else in a solid condition

7745F23C-2CC3-4304-B124-113CBE0F8C3A.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Giacomo's '89 looks fantastic and probably a steal at $5,500 (regardless of exchange rate) though I don't see  the supercharger. I do note, however, that the engine shows the "3800" in red (which was a question in another post).