Idea for replacing cam sensor magnet

Philbo

Hey Everyone, I had a brainstorm concerning replacement of the cam sensor magnet. Would it be possible to take the oil pan off pull it up from below with a bit of thin wire or fishing line? For someone who has replaced it before, is there enough room behind the cam sprocket to get the magnet up there without removing the sprocket? My thought is to take the oil pan off and feed a wire or fishing line through the sensor hole and the hole in sprocket down to where the pan is, attach it to the magnet somehow and then pull it up and into the hole. Does this sound at all feasible or am I out to lunch?

You are reinventing the wheel. See the replacement directions on the "Common Problems" section on the header of this page. 

I don't think there is much room behind the cam gear but if there is you would still have a lot of obstacles to overcome to get the cam magnet in place. The main one would be getting the magnet turned correctly to pull in into the hole in the gear even if you could snake it past the crankshaft gear and timing chain. I just can't imagine how you would tie a string in a way that you could pull the magnet straight into the hole in the gear.

cammagn2.jpg

Dave is right, there is a semi-external repair that has been used for years. Even if that didn’t exist, there is no room to do as envisioned. The gear for the balance shaft covers the rear face of the cam sprocket making it impossible to change the magnet in the slim chance you could even see it from below.

Yeah I have seen the aforementioned repair. I have considered trying it, although I worry about the JB weld not working.  It was, as I said, a brainstorm that I had recently.

If you get the hole and magnet clean the JB weld will hold really well. Pay attention to the instructions and make sure you don't put the magnet in backwards. I've heard of that happening.

Yeah I have been on the fence about trying that or going ahead and doing the timing chain as well. But it looks like it would be a pretty involved job.