Clay Bar replacement?

Ronnie

I was wondering if anyone has used this clay bar alternative?

I have a friend Jerry that does frame off restorations on the '70 model pickups. He is a fanatic about the paint jobs on them and taking care of the paint. I was talking to him over the weekend and asking him about trying to improve the look of my paint on my Reatta that I believe is the original paint. It has imperfections in the clearcoat that you don't notice from 10 feet but it can easily be seen close up.

He said I should start with cleaning all the contaminants from the paint but instead of using a clay bar he says he has started using the Nanoskin Autoscrub products. He says it does just as well as clay if not better at cleaning the paint but it is much easier to use. You just rinse off the pad with clean water instead of having to fold and shape it by hand like you do with clay.

Although he uses the more expensive products Nanoskin sells, he recommended that I use the starter kit - AUTOSCRUB Brilliant Shine Kit. He says that is all I will need to do a one time job on my car. He gets the products that is made to use with a polishing buffer (that I don't have).

After I have the paint free of contaminants he is going show me the right way to polish the clearcoat by hand to hide the imperfections in the paint. I have always been afraid to try a machine to polish it from fear of cutting through the clear coat. It's all a lot of work but it will give me something to do over the winter months.   :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I'll know soon how this clay bar replacement works.

I got one of these

150x223https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/615N4iHvnWL._SL1189_.jpg[/img]

and one of these TORQ Random Orbital Polisher Kits for Christmas. I'm going to see if I can make my old Reatta shine!

355x357https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41RLNvsaKdL.jpg[/img]

Looks like Santa was very good to you Ronnie! We all look forward to seeing before and after pics!!

Family members who draw my name at Christmas know I like Amazon gift cards so I can pick out what I want.  That's how I got this stuff.  The gift cards didn't cover all the cost for these items but it was close enough that I don't feel guilty about spending money on something I could do without. :)

I just ordered some this Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax to finish off the job. My buddy, who's really into this detailing stuff, says it provides an impressive shine and is really easy to use.  I like easy!

150x150https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61WDsvpwXqL._SL1000_.jpg[/img]

I've never bought a specialty wax before but I decided to grab some of this while it is on sale - plus it has a 20% discount coupon that can be used instantly when you check out.  That made the price $14.99. Not too bad. I'll let you know if it's worth the money compared to regular waxes.  I also order some microfiber towels to wipe the wax off with.  Every thing I buy from Amazon has free shipping or I don't buy it.