Anti Lock amber light

89 MAUI

When I turn the key switch to on I here the fuel pump running and the brake pump building pressure when the brake pump stops running the anti lock amber light goes off.  When I turn the key switch to start the amber light comes back on and remains on.

With the key switch off and I short the ALDL terms A&H the amber light stays off and the amber light stays off and will not display any codes.

The brake fluid reservoir is at the max level mark.

What can cause the amber light to remain on with the engine is running?

• Like 1

Woody when you get time try this and let me know what happens.

Press the brake pedal 23-30 times to make sure all the pressure is out of the accumulator. Then start the engine right up, without letting the pump build pressure first, and see if the yellow light goes out when the red light goes out or if it stays on all the time and never goes out.

Thank you Ronnie -

I finally went out and pumped my brake pedal 25 times then turned the ignition ON and started the engine and the anti lock amber light stayed ON.  I checked the brake fluid level and it was about 1/2" low, added fluid level to the max level mark.  With the ignition OFF I pumped 25 times then turned the ignition ON and started the engine and again the anti lock amber lamp stayed ON.  I checked the reservoir and it is now 1/2" down from the max level mark.  I pumped 25 times then started the engine and the anti lock amber lamp went OUT and stayed OFF.  SUCCESS !!!

What all this resulted from is my '89 is a garage queen and over the previous 2 years has had very few miles and the accumulator nitrogen pressure had slowly forced the brake fluid back to the reservoir plus the fluid level down kept the anti lock amber lamp ON.

Once again thank you Ronnie

Woody

89 MAUI

• Like 3