What should we do?

Ronnie

A forum is a place where the members discuss topics of interest to them.  A forum is is like a church in some ways. Without the people a church is just an empty building and a forum is just a static webpage with old news.

It has become glaringly obvious that not many people are interested in discussing Buick Reattas on this forum, other forums or Facebook for that matter. I see several people coming here each day but they have nothing to say. Are they just wanting to read something? If so I could start a daily, weekly or monthly blog about Reattas but I doubt anyone would care about what I would have to say. I'm not an expert on Reattas so what would I write about? I post photos and videos but there doesn't seem to be any interest in that.

So, as the person responsible for maintaining and paying for ROJ,  I have to wonder - what's the point of continuing to do that?  

Yep, what's there to say at this point? The Turbo Regals and Grand Nationals were a bigger item to start with and have a bigger following but even though only a few years older than ours, has dwindled greatly as well. Our cars are decades out of style, not to say they aren't stylish, just never developed the status we would like to see. This site is an important resource but like many things, is taken for granted.

I ordered a four post lift today with the first project being getting my donor car up in the air to determine what additional use it may be before it sees the scrapyard. With mother nature giving us hints of what lies ahead, that resolution will likely not be complete until spring, since everything will be going into hibernation over the next month. After discussion with Dave, will probably install a headlight harness in #1 sons black car this weekend. He intends to put it up for the winter soon too, which is sort of ironic, since that was it's previous duty.

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

Yep, what's there to say at this point? The Turbo Regals and Grand Nationals were a bigger item to start with and have a bigger following but even though only a few years older than ours, has dwindled greatly as well. Our cars are decades out of style, not to say they aren't stylish, just never developed the status we would like to see. This site is an important resource but like many things, is taken for granted.

I ordered a four post lift today with the first project being getting my donor car up in the air to determine what additional use it may be before it sees the scrapyard. With mother nature giving us hints of what lies ahead, that resolution will likely not be complete until spring, since everything will be going into hibernation over the next month. After discussion with Dave, will probably install a headlight harness in #1 sons black car this weekend. He intends to put it up for the winter soon too, which is sort of ironic, since that was it's previous duty.

It only saw 10 winters so I think it will hold up. If he wants I could entertain an offer on the Black I just bought, but there would be no discount.

And Ronnie, we fought the good fight, if you want to let it go there will be no argument from me...

Edited by DAVES89

I'm not planning to do anything soon. We are all paid up on software and hosting fees and I just finished a major update to the forum software so we should be good for a while. I was just venting my frustration with trying to keep a dying hobby alive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ronnie

As someone involved with Club websites in the past (only from the content side, not the technical skills) I can appreciate the frustration.  Ours was local and a lot less complex than what you guys have built here, which is pretty impressive IMHO.  We had similar issues of "putting it out there" (efforts and information and soliciting material and comments) and getting less than dynamic return on investment.... then when we turned it off, there was weeping and gnashing of teeth from everyone who was "following along".

I don't know the history and the early demographic or target audiences of what this forum was in the beginning .... if they were all Hands on guys, or pictures and tips, or deep engine/electrical wizards.   I think your insight into how many people are "dropping in" each day is important... don't know if they are all owners, or new owners, or wannabe owners trying to get the pros and cons of ownership (like I was) before buying.

I think this site has a BROAD appeal on many subject areas, and probably provides a service level beyond the feedback that is visible by postings.!   

Naturally, as a newbie, everything is "new and incredible" about Reattas to me.  I may have found them late (at 65) but to me they are as cool and elegant as many of the collectible items in my 401"g", and I can enjoy them more often.  I can see myself becoming a "multi-specimen" owner in the future - yes my car buddies warn me away from old convertibles, but it's the whole "Moth to Flame" thing!  

For my two cents, I think there are more Mid-boomers like myself who are looking for this car and don't know it yet.

But you're right:  Postings are the most tangible feedback sign of getting through to people and getting participation and measuring "results". 

All I can say is that from my limited previous experience noted above, you are hitting on more cylinders that you may be feeling right now !

For selfish reasons, I hope this forum continues in this or another format.

I realize there are expenses involved, and I'm willing to be a more active participant in that as well.

As I go into the last 15 months (hopefully) of my full time working career, I don't have as much time as I'd like for daily interaction, but I still view and learn 2-3 times a week !  

• Like 4

pbtexan ,

Thank you for your thoughtful post. Your kind words mean a lot to me and give me an incentive to carry on. I'm happy you find this website useful and I hope you continue to hang around. We need more people with the enthusiasm that you have.

• Agree 1

I personally am very grateful for being a reatta owner and being part of this community. Keep it up guys, no pun intended. I haven't been working much on my cars in general for the past few months because I'm recovering from two surgeries. So I'm kind of at a stand still right now, but plan on being more active.     Thanks Ronnie! 

Ronnie... I appreciate the resources that you have compiled for us here. I visit the ROJ often. These resources have been invaluable anytime I needed to look something up. As for the forum... well there is that other forum available to use and FB is also an option so it's up to you how you want to continue that. I always appreciate all the sources of info available to me whenever I need... I'm one of those people that search and search for everything and anything about things. So having these places to come is great. 

Please leave the ROJ up. I can't imagine that is too expensive but if you had to let the forum go, I suppose there is other options there, but the ROJ is a valuable tool for old and new Reatta owners to keep their cars running. I imagine that it has saved at least a few cars from the scrap yard by having a resource available to the owner and deciding to fix the car with those instructions available there instead of throwing in the towel and selling or scrapping because they couldn't figure out why something is gone wrong and wasn't worth the big bill you would get from a mechanic shop. It especially helps new owners when they pick up a somewhat basket case car but have a gleam in their eye to get their new toy road worthy again. Especially since they are not really valuable or collectable (yet) they can be picked up cheaply by anyone especially younger kids that can't afford to bring them in anywhere so they use the internet and come to the ROJ to help figure out what they got. It could mean the difference between the car running on the street or being back burnered because of a simple fix that keeps the car sidelined. 

• 5 weeks later...

I know this post is a little old BUT I'm new to the Reatta world and without websites like this keeping these cars would be next to impossible. Don't lose faith, you never know when someone new will come along and get started. Hopefully more will follow in the future. Just wanted to say THANKS to all of you who keep this going and leave these threads up so future owners and collectors can still enjoy these cars!! Here's a picture of mine that I just started into...

DSC00471.JPG

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Ronnie -

Here it is in mid November and I looked back as what I wanted to accomplish this past summer and I only accomplished applying leather conditioner to the entire cabin area and took the body covering to the laundromat and washed it.  I did find that my TEVES system did not have a problem with the amber lamp remaining ON but only having the system "re-pressurize".

So today I washed her and re-applied the body covering and put her away until next spring,

She is my garage queen and another year goes by with the odometer staying at 114K.  Maybe next spring my 4 year stage 4 cancer will show totally under control and I can take my '89 triple blue out onto the highway and enjoy her.

DSC_0307.JPG

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 89 MAUI said:

So today I washed her and re-applied the body covering and put her away until next spring,

She is my garage queen and another year goes by with the odometer staying at 114K.  Maybe next spring my 4 year stage 4 cancer will show totally under control and I can take my '89 triple blue out onto the highway and enjoy her.

It looks great Woody. I really hope the cancer is under control. Hang in there. We're all rooting for you.

• Like 2

this is by far the number 1 forum I turn to when ever i have a problem with my Reatta that i got from my dad also known as Frogware. the forum has a lot of useful information and it would be a shame if the forum was shut down but if that's what it comes to it is what it is thanks for creating the most useful and informative forums out there.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I've actually visited the site off and on over the years without posting. This site is a gold mine. I've copied about an inch of documents from "how to's" to "codes" and sundry things. I put the copies in a folder for quick reference. I had the Headlight Motor Repair dog ear'd by replacing the bushings on both headlights and a crank assembly once. Just recently joined as a member as retirement has given me a little more computer time. Two days after joining, I asked, and received a thoughtful reply of assistance. Keep it up. Thanks,

What??? Us young bucks need this site in order to learn the ropes, I just discovered this sanctuary! The Reatta's comeback is only beginning... Hope to see this resources for years to come and thanks for all that you do ??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can't even begin to describe the amount of time I do reading and researching through your archives. To the folks like me this place is invaluable ????

Edited by Bertimus
  • Like 2

Ronnie, I love this site and really hope we can keep it going. I don't post super often, mostly because I have a young family and so time for hobbies is somewhat limited at times.  But I have learned so much from this site and the forum. I can't imagine not having it.

As for the cost, I am more than willing to contribute.  I have in the past, (actually I am probably due again). Out of curiosity how much does it cost to keep the site up and going? Either way I will definitely throw some in the hat in the very near future.

I would be very sad to see ROJ go. That is for sure.

Here's a pic of my reatta from a short roadtrip to brevard NC

20201017_103117_HDR.jpg

• Like 1