can anyone recommend a good transport carrier?

pbtexan

Hi !  I am new to the site, but have been "lurking" for a few weeks and havea couple of requests!

First request:  I just purchased a Reatta and need a transport company!  Raleigh NC to Keller TX  (suburb North of FTWorth).  I used Executive Auto Shippers in the past, but always looking for tips from those more experienced than myself.  

Thinking open carrier would be fine.  The transport company at NC quoted about 1500 closed trailer, which does not sound bad, but they had no open trailer capability.  

I would estimate Open to be 750 to 1000, but again, seeking your inputs.  Every dollar saved on shipping can go into the car !!  

Second request:  Is there a guideline to new owner maintenance "to do"?   I'm sure there are more good things besides fluid changes that need to be done.  The car has not been titled since 2006 if I understood correctly, but it is a low mileage car and I plan to be keeping it for several years.   It will need "wake up fluid changes", plus several other rubber components  - hopefully not too many !

Looking forward to being a frequent visitor and "info-seeker" and hopefully become a "info-sharer" in the future.

Thanks in advance !

Paul 

Welcome to the forum! Sorry, I can't help with the shipper. Beside the normal fluid changes, be sure to change the brake fluid. It is best to change it about every 2 years in Teves brake system that is used in the '88-'90 Reattas. I would check the tires closely to make sure they haven't dry rotted from age. Battery probably needs replacing too if it has been sitting in the car for six years.  If you have any questions about your new Reatta feel free to ask.

Ronnie, thanks for the list, will definitely add brake fluid transfusion to the list !

Ship, thanks for tip on the shipping quote!  I'll go online tonite !

• Thanks 1

Hi Ship

1989 coupe, red, 12k miles from an auction in NC.

I've been shopping for a couple of months now, talked to some knowledgeable  Reatta owners (one in Houston with 4 or 5 bc he had one for sale on Hemmings).

Hoping this one will turn out to be a keeper, but anticipating $1000 + in "wakeup" work since it has not been titled since 2006.   

Reportedly in a collection, but the auction house was guarding identity before the sale, maybe they will share with me now and I can see if there is any chance of getting records or other history!

I like your 91 !  I like the dash arrangement better on the second series.  Is there any other advantages, updates?   Is it possible to retrofit the Dash units (drivers instruments plus the system controls in the Center column) from 90-91 back to a 89?

Thanks on commenting on my '91.  It has been reported that GM only produced 19 '91 Reatta coupes with the flame red interior/white exterior.

I don't know if you'd call them advantages '91's over previous years but the '91 has 16" wheels standard and the first year for the electronic transmission.  I don't believe its possible to retro switch '90/'91 dashes back to an '89's.

Edited by ship
  • Agree 1

Ronnie mentioned a Teves brake system from 88-90   so the 91has something different?  better??

I'll have to read up on Teves.... does it have major faults??

thanks

7 hours ago, pbtexan said:

Ronnie mentioned a Teves brake system from 88-90   so the 91has something different?  better??

I'll have to read up on Teves.... does it have major faults??

thanks

The '91's have the Bosch brake system.  Teves brakes, if properly maintained, work just as well....the operative words being "properly maintained". 

Thanks Ship!   Did a little more reading on line, glad these are found in other upper end GM cars, should not be hard to find a mechanic that is familiar with this, and will put it on a routine every two years!

My car is supposed to be picked up next Tues or Wed and shipped to North Texas !

Do GM trained independent shops (as a general rule) do Better in paying attention to classic cars than the new car dealerships?

How would I go about vetting a good shop / mechanic?  After a bad experience, I found a good MB mechanic on my previous car and have still not found a good one in North Texas for my wifes 86 Volvo 740 GL.   Are there key service issues besides the brakes?

Regarding tires, this one hasn't been titled in 16 years if I understood correctly, so I anticipate fresh rubber is required... I know tires have moved forward in the last 30 years, should I try to find something that mimics original performance of the late 80s (adhesion and sidewall flex, etc) or just go for a nice set of Cont or Michelin or what brand is favored on this forum?

Sorry to be a question-hound, but trying to make mistakes with this one.

Paul

89 reatta.jpg

A lot of questions relegated to one post.  Might be better to start new topic for each question.  But, to answer in a nutshell, try the AACA forum (sub-forum Buick Club of America) to get opinions re: local mechanics....a few guys on there are from TX.  As for tires, its totally up to your preference on what you're comfortable with performance/cost wise.  I personally went with stock from the factory for a '91 Reatta...Good Year Eagle GT P215/60R 16" All Season blackwall.    

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pbtexan said:

Regarding tires, this one hasn't been titled in 16 years if I understood correctly, so I anticipate fresh rubber is required... I know tires have moved forward in the last 30 years, should I try to find something that mimics original performance of the late 80s (adhesion and sidewall flex, etc) or just go for a nice set of Cont or Michelin or what brand is favored on this forum?

You probably should change the tires. My Reatta had old tires on it when I got it. Not long after I got it I started to head off down the road and it felt like I was running over a bump in the road. I turned around and went back home only to discover a tire had a large hump in the center of the tread and it was on the verge of blowing out. Examining the tires closely revealed they were covered with hairline cracks caused by dry rotting.  Better to be safe than sorry. I have Michelins on my Reatta and I like them.

• Agree 1

Thanks Ship, Thanks Ronnie!

Ship I appreciate your patience and guidance about when to start new threads!   will do !

• Like 2