Removal and Installation of Brake Light Switch

Dan Alesi

While looking for a replacement switch for my 91 Reattta, I found two types, one was a regular switch for the lights only, and a second was with  cruise control . Question, which is the right one to obtain.  I need to know before I dismantle the switch.  Thank you I advance for your help.

Can anyone provide me information regarding the removal and installation of a Brake Light switch on a 91 Reatta? The service manual is very vague on this. Additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry I have never removed one, however I did look at it once when swapping out the turn signal/emergency flashers. You might want to consider removing the Driver's seat to improve access to it.

I have replaced switches like the one below on other vehicles but not on a Reatta.   No guarantees that this will work.

IF your switch is like the one below, replacing it is pretty simple if you can get to it easily. If your switch is different ignore the following.

Disconnect the wire connectors and take note of how far the switch is inserted into the metal bracket. What looks like threads on the snout sticking out of the switch is actually rings that click into the metal bracket to hold it in the proper position. Mark it's location on the snout if you feel you need to so you can compare it to the new switch.

Then pull the switch out of the metal bracket. A good hard pull rocking the switch side to side should get it out.

Installing the new switch is just the opposite of removal. Push the brake pedal down and push the new switch into the metal bracket just a little farther than the old switch was originally, maybe 1/8-1/4" farther. You will feel it click as you force it in.

To adjust the switch pull up on the brake pedal until it bottoms out against the up-stop. That will force the switch to click back up to the proper position. 

Reconnect the wire connectors.

SLS-174_Front__ra_p.jpg

Thanks Ronnie. I used your info to correct the problem. Not easy due to the close space under the dash. As I removed the beauty panel, FYI: I discovered what appears to be a vacuum hose that was rubbing against something causing it to have extreme wear. Luckily, it was not pierced through completely. Thanks again.