engine coolant temperature sensor location

Mckays Reatta

where is the engine coolant temperature sensor located on a 1990 buick reatta? I need to know because I have been having problems with the engine temperature when the car is running it stays in the middle but when i turn the engine off and then turn the ignition on it is two bars past the middle but the car is not over heated and then i turn it off again and turn it back on it says a different reading all done in a very short amount of time and i am thinking it is the CTS (engine coolant temperature sensor) or am i wrong if i am please tell me thanks Mckay 

It's possible the sensor is bad but I don't think you have a problem. The temperature rise you are seeing is sometimes referred to as "heat soak". It is normal and is caused by the coolant flow suddenly stopping while the cylinder heads and cylinders are still really hot. That heat has no where to go so it starts raising the temperature of the coolant in the engine which will show up on the temperature gauge.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 7:50 PM, Ronnie said:

It's possible the sensor is bad but I don't think you have a problem. The temperature rise you are seeing is sometimes referred to as "heat soak". It is normal and is caused by the coolant flow suddenly stopping while the cylinder heads and cylinders are still really hot. That heat has no where to go so it starts raising the temperature of the coolant in the engine which will show up on the temperature gauge.

Oh ok thanks so its completely normal thats good to know thanks for the information

• Like 1