1990 Reatta Front Parking Light Assembly Internal Cleaning

BRD

Would like to remove my front parking light assembly and clean inside of the plastic lens.  Has become cloudy over the years and only cleaning external side of lens is not getting the job done.  I saw instructions for removing the entire parking light assembly on this site but nothing about actually removing the plastic lens (as has been documented numerous times for rear light assembly).

I have a spare Reatta set I am “practicing on” first, that are not attached to my car.  I can get the metal frame off the assembly but the plastic lens seems “glued-on” in a similar fashion as the rear assembly. 

Have some questions and appreciate your advice:

1.  How do/can you remove the plastic lens component from the front parking light assembly? 

2.  Do you heat with heat-gun or blow-dryer and then it just pulls off? 

3.  Anyone try this before without damaging plastic assembly and then not able to reattach?

Thanks!

BRD

Sorry I have never taken one apart. Was going to but then found a low mileage/garage stored Reatta and grabbed them.

I've never had mine apart either. I've hand mine out to repair the amber globe. I filled mine with soapy water and shook the hell out of it to clean it. Rinsed it and allowed it to dry overnight. Mines not perfect but it's good enough for my old Reatta.  If you take yours apart to clean it post photos of how you do it.

Daves89 and Ronnie:  Thanks for the response.  The plastic lens component is very securely attached to the rest of the assembly with some form of hardened glue, sealant, etc.  I might try to take it off if I can see that applying heat significantly loosens the “glue.”  Otherwise, I will just try using soap, Windex, and/or maybe a duel-magnet.  Just looking at it, seems that I might cause more harm than good when applying heat - as the rest of the assembly also has a plastic frame - and I don't want to warp it.  The spare set that I am practicing on has a broken amber bulb inside (like so many others).  Was trying to fix both at same time by taking off entire lens.  Will post pictures if I try.

• Thanks 1