Just purchased a 88 reatta randomly.

DaRealTeufel

hello everyone. I've been wanting a new vehicle for a couple months now and while my 05 pontiac sunfire works just fine, I was ready for a upgrade. After a few weeks of looking mostly through Facebook marketplace with a $4000 budget and no further then 30 miles away, i came across a picture of a old-school green monitor while scrolling through cars and i was intrigued. Since the pictures refresh on the marketplace thats the picture that I noticed and probably the only reason i eneded up buying the car. So I click on it and scroll down first, quick glance i notice automatic and less then 80,000 miles and no rust, no winters. I scroll back up and notice $4,500 then swipe left and get the first looks at my future car. Now tbh the exterior was pretty weird at first and no back seats were a turn off but the interior was just gorgeous and the touchscreen monitor and tan leather everything. Then the cherry on top the extra +5 horsepower red. Then the best part I scroll down again and notice its 3 minutes away.... before that every car I've seen that I liked had to be 40 mins away or further. Everything was too good to be true. So I message and set up a date to check the car out. Two days later I get there and instantly fall in love. The guy selling is a bit older and 3rd owner only selling because his family made him. He was asking for $6500 but no ones buying cars right now so he's been setting the price back. After making sure everything worked fine and a little bit of negotiation, I come back a couple days later with $4,000 cash and leave with my new car. Here's some pictures and ill be back for cool updates.

Snapchat-1088514100.jpg

Screenshot_20200629-171908_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200629-171857_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200629-171854_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200629-171850_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200629-171847_Facebook.jpg

Welcome to the Forum! Looks like you have picked up a really nice Reatta.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ohhhh yeah, definitely a love, hate relationship so far. I fix one thing, 3 more things break lol. Mechanical, it had no issues when I bought it. The issues came when I decided to upgrade things. I decided to add some led headlights which are very nice and bright, only problem being now my headlights do not go down anymore. If I manually put them down then hit the retract button, the headlights will pop up but not back down sadly. I also tinted my windows, a little darker then I wanted though, attempted to paint the chrome and wheels black. A lot of my paint tore off the bumpers after taking the tape off. Added a reverse camera/ dash cam front and back, some interior upgrades/cup holder in center console. remote start with keyless entry and spare tire subwoofer with kicker speakers. K&n air filter, new spark plugs, brakes btw spent 4 days doing those because the back calipers are dumb and broke a small gasket. That was a fun time lol. Oh and right after installing my subwoofer , I notice a nail sticking out of my tire, so I go get a tire repair kit and pull out a 4 inch nail and patch that up. Then Randomly today my dash and gear shifter lights don't turn on when I turn on the headlights but read a forum and found out if I turn on the fog lights, they turn on. That fixed it but problem is none of my parking lights come on or fog lights. So I'll have to figure that out. Love the car though and I'm excited to have some conversations with everyone. Sorry for the life story lmao. Thanks for the reply's too.

Edited by DaRealTeufel

With LED lights you need a relay harness. That will make the lights retract when you turn them off. Regarding the black paint on the wheels and trim, I have always thought that the car needed more chrome. However black against the Red is a good contrast and seem more favorable with young people. When I was your age more chrome was popular, so just a sign of the times.

• Thanks 1

You have been really busy working on your new Reatta and you got a lot accomplished. The headlight doors not closing is common problem when you add LED headlights. You can cut and ground a wired on the headlight door module but I don't know off the top of my head which wire it is.  I will try to find the information you need and report back latter today. I'm a little too busy right now to look it up.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DAVES89 said:

With LED lights you need a relay harness. That will make the lights retract when you turn them off. Regarding the black paint on the wheels and trim, I have always thought that the car needed more chrome. However black against the Red is a good contrast and seem more favorable with young people. When I was your age more chrome was popular, so just a sign of the times.

Okay thats what I thought i needed, if you have any particular harness I could use that would help. Also I do like chrome but only when its done right and preferably on newer cars. I did like the chrome on the reatta though just wanted to experiment with the black.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

You have been really busy working on your new Reatta and you got a lot accomplished. The headlight doors not closing is common problem when you add LED headlights. You can cut and ground a wired on the headlight door module but I don't know off the top of my head which wire it is.  I will try to find the information you need and report back latter today. I'm a little too busy right now to look it up.

thank you! Yeah between work and the car, I've been pretty busy. Been learning a lot about cars in general and been loving every step even the bad ones.

Dave's recommendation of adding a headlight harness is a good solution to the headlight doors problem to but it requires spending money. ?

• Agree 1

On Amazon I am looking at "All Star Truck Parts". Ceramic H4 headlight harness kit. Sells for $18.95. Going on my Christmas list.

• Thanks 1

That's the best I've seen on a headlight harness. Good find!  The price on the harness we use to buy has went out of sight.

• Like 1

Found this on Amazon for 50 buckaroos.Octane Lighting H4 100w Ceramic Fused PnP Heavy Duty Automotive Wiring Harness Headlight Foglight Booster Relay 12v

Seems like it would work.

Edited by DaRealTeufel

Fifty bucks is a little high. See if you can find the one Dave found on Amazon.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DaRealTeufel said:

I decided to add some led headlights which are very nice and bright,

Can you tell us which LEDs you bought?

• Like 1

Busy, busy and impressed?

I wondered about painting the wheels too but was thinking of doing a plasticoat job that could be peeled off. I have aftermarket but maybe for the kids Reattas?

I was considering adding a sub now that I have a working radio again but didn’t want to lose trunk space. The under seat type would have to be pretty small to miss the motors underneath but the spare tire install looks interesting. Could you share what model sub that is?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Can you tell us which LEDs you bought?

Afeax- New Osram Chips 110W 5x7 Inch Led Headlights 7x6 Led Sealed Beam Headlamp with High Low Beam H6054 6054 Led Headlight Replacement for Jeep YJ Cherokee XJ H5054 H6054LL 6052 6053 2 Pcs.

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

Busy, busy and impressed?

I wondered about painting the wheels too but was thinking of doing a plasticoat job that could be peeled off. I have aftermarket but maybe for the kids Reattas?

I was considering adding a sub now that I have a working radio again but didn’t want to lose trunk space. The under seat type would have to be pretty small to miss the motors underneath but the spare tire install looks interesting. Could you share what model sub that is?

I got the Rockville rockghost hidden powered 8 subwoofer. It was about $170 with an amplifier built it. Its actually perfect for me and for my first time installing a sub, it wasn't too bad. Now where the problems come in and where you probably don't want it is that to fit the sub you have to flip over the spare tire but it won't fit flipped I actually had to trim off the metal peice in the middle to fit that and trim the subwoofer hole in the bottom. Then I had to take the plastic screw in thing and cut the top then slide it under the metal peice holding the spare tire and glued it in to hold the long screw in the middle of it all. After cutting the metal screw because it was too long, it still hangs out a little no matter what and so does the spare tire and subwoofer. So it kinda defeats the purpose of being hidden. I'm going to try to modify it more so mine looks more flush. Rockville has some slim 8's though that you could mount under the seats possibly or even mount on the sides of the trunk.

52 minutes ago, DaRealTeufel said:

Afeax- New Osram Chips 110W 5x7 Inch Led Headlights 7x6 Led Sealed Beam Headlamp with High Low Beam H6054 6054 Led Headlight Replacement for Jeep YJ Cherokee XJ H5054 H6054LL 6052 6053 2 Pcs.

Whoa. If those are actually 110 watts each, you are definitely going to need a headlight wiring harness like Dave suggested that have relays to take the load off the headlight switch. That much wattage could fry it and the marginal headlight wiring of the Reatta will degrade the output of those LED headlights defeating the purpose of installing them. Maybe that 110 watt rating is for both headlights?

• Like 1