Is this a worthy option for a NEW ICM and coil pack?

Luftweg

The price is certainly right....

Yes, I understand it's not the AC/Delco upgrade -- but what's the cost of a new AC/Delco ICM and 3 coil packs?   $300-400 or so?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Herko-Ignition-Control-Module-LX349-And-Magnavox-Style-Ignition-Coil-B008/362784729845?epid=656834001&hash=item5477a7aaf5:g:ENQAAOSwWtZdqfef

https://herko.com/Retail/herko-ignition-control-module-lx349-and-magnavox-style-ignition-coil-b008.html

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 5.00.37 PM.png

Edited by Luftweg
added info

I've never heard of that Brand. I wouldn't buy it myself. I like to stick with name brand parts. Prefer ACDelco or Delphi but sometimes have to substitute because of price. . If you want it you can get it cheaper on amazon and I think you would have more protection if something goes wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=herko+LX349&i=automotive&ref=nb_sb_noss

• Like 1

Thanx, Ronnie....  I also prefer proper name parts, however USD 400+ is quite a steep price difference....  Then again I could go the junk yard way, but then there's a potentially even greater reliability factor with unknown used electrical parts...

[Edit note:: on the Amazon listing for the 'Herko' brand ICM, the price is for the ICM only; it doesn't include the coils]

Edited by Luftweg
added info

I would go to the junk yard and pickup a Delco ICM and coils. I got mine for about $35 about 8 years ago and it's still going strong. Delco setup has a hotter spark and better reliability.  Here are instructions and info about what you need and how to install. http://reattaowner.com/roj/common-problems-a-solutions/replacing-magnavox-ignition-with-delco

Thanks to Padgett for the info!

• Like 1

Coil packs with the ignition module are still less then $50.00-$60.00. In my opinion still a great way to go. 

Just tell them you have a 1991 Reatta and you want a low mileage one.

Jacks used cars and parts in Billerica has a 1997 LeSabre with 42,000 miles and wants only $19.00.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 9:42 PM, DAVES89 said:

Coil packs with the ignition module are still less then $50.00-$60.00. In my opinion still a great way to go. 

Just tell them you have a 1991 Reatta and you want a low mileage one.

Jacks used cars and parts in Billerica has a 1997 LeSabre with 42,000 miles and wants only $19.00.

Thanx....  Is 'Jacks' a u-pull-it, or is it the type of junk yard that has already done so (like 'Harbor' in Lynn)?

Either way, unless the car is at the bottom of a stack or 4 cars and doesn't require contortionism or double-indemnity life insurance, I can pull it easy enough.....

[Note: on the Amazon listing for the 'Herko' brand ICM, the price is for the ICM only; it doesn't include the coils]

Edited by Luftweg
added info

I don't know, but here is there address and phone #.

888-873-5225 and they are located on Town Farm Lane in Billerica which is somewhere close tp Boston.

• Like 1

Are we sure a 1997 ICM will fit?....   The mount sure looks different..   The cable plug looks identical....   I'll have to read the Padgett upgrade material to find out...

The ICM/coils in the picture:  one is from a 1997, and the other is from a 2007;  they look interchangable with each other.

The one below pictured still on an engine in the junkyard is a 2001.

Pictures taken at Jack's Salvage.

IMG_3246.JPG

IMG_3245.JPG

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3243.JPG

IMG_3241.JPG

Edited by Luftweg
added info

The lower mounting plate is not what you will use. however take it along as a all in one thing as it stops confusion at the parts counter. What you want is the Ignition Control Module and the Coils. Be sure to take the screws

On 7/6/2020 at 6:07 PM, DAVES89 said:

The lower mounting plate is not what you will use. however take it along as a all in one thing as it stops confusion at the parts counter. What you want is the Ignition Control Module and the Coils. Be sure to take the screws

*** EDITED: THE 1989 REATTA MAGNAVOX ICM DOES HAVE 14 PINS, BUT THE CONNECTOR ONLY USES 12 PINS (and there are only 12 wires in the harness, and on the connector).

The ICM for the 97 (and 07) will not mount to the existing plate of 89 Reatta,....  The six bolts holding the coils down, also go through the ICM, to the mounting plate...

The three studs/bolts of the 88-89 ICM are not there.

[EDITED:] ...

The 89 Reatta ICM has 14 pins, but uses only 12 pins (leaving 2 blank), with 12 wires on the harness (leaving 2 spots on the connector blank).

* The 97 LeSabre uses all 14 pins, with 14 wires on the harness.

Again, the 1989 pin connector will plug-in (and can be bolted) to the 97 ICM , but the number or wires and used pins is certainly different -- I'm not sure if this indicates that the pin-out may be different (i.e., is there a compatibility issue?).

Despite that difference,  I connected the 97 ICM/coils to the harness, connected the spark plug wires, and firmly grounded it (and secured it in place with straps).

The car would not start, but when I replaced it with the old Magnavox ICM/coils, it started right up.

(I may reconfirm (when I get to it) that I had the connector seated securely on the 97 ICM, and that it was truly grounded.)

If I'm mistaken, or overlooking something, please describe that in detail.

I may take a couple pictures of the different number of pins on the ICMs, and number of wires in their respective connectors/harnesses.

Edited by Luftweg
correction

I also went to Padgett's post about what to do to make the conversion. There is an adapter plate that is provided on some cars that will convert the Delco unit to the Reatta. It has the correct 3 hole plate for mounting the ICM with the 6 holes for the coils. I would look at older Buicks/Pontiacs about 1993-1997. Remember the ground is through the plate so it won't start without it being grounded.

In regards to what Delco unit works go to www.car-part.com and enter the vehicle Padgett used, a 1994 Pontiac Transport and the site will tell what cars will work and who has them.

Okay, I went out to my car [I carry an extra in the trunk] and counted the pins on the Delco unit. There are 14. There is also an "adapter plate which is easily visible as it is silver and the ICM and coils are black. Once you get all the parts you really are good to go. 

Edited by DAVES89

7 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

.... counted the pins on the Delco unit. There are 14. 

It is possible that the 97 ICM is defective, I also have an 07 ICM (which 'appears' identical).

I have not too much issue with fabricating mounting for the ICM

8 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Remember the ground is through the plate so it won't start without it being grounded.

I connected a 14 gauge wire from a body ground to the plate...

I did this fairly late in the day, and I suppose it is still possible ground was not achieved (I did not check ground with a meter, nor any of the voltages at the connector)...

Well, I will check Jack's to see if they have an earlier model 3800 ICM (with the 3 studs/bolts).... Oh, but the ICM will be on the order of 25-28 years old!... Then again, the ICM on the 89 right now is FROM 1989 (and the coil pack appears original)...

Btw, I noticed the other 89 ICM/coil I have is leaking the green spooge a bit...

Edited by Luftweg

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so I ordered the 'Herko' ICM/Coilpack and it arrived today....

There are no instructions, and I haven't wired one of these before...     Pictures are below.

My questions are:

1.)  Are the terminals on the coilpack -- left to right -- 'polarized'?   That is, are the terminals symmetrical, if the coilpack is rotated 180 degrees?

2.) I've only been able to find a picture of an old leaky Magnavox (from the AACA site);  Is the wiring in that picture correct?

3.) Where do I put the packet of the 'goop'?

IMG_1601.JPG

IMG_1602.JPG

IMG_1603.JPG

ICM-magnavox-4.jpg.a226a256c5a037e141d680c587e4d0ca.jpg

Edited by Luftweg
added

19 minutes ago, Luftweg said:

2.) I've only been able to find a picture of an old leaky Magnavox (from the AACA site);  Is the wiring in that picture correct?

That looks like a photo of my old ICM and coil pack. I'm pretty sure it is wired correctly. I probably took the photo before I disconnected the wires so I could remember how they were supposed to be connected. Don't know about that brand or the goop you refer to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

That looks like a photo of my old ICM and coil pack. I'm pretty sure it is wired correctly. I probably took the photo before I disconnected the wires so I could remember how they were supposed to be connected. Don't know about that brand or the goop you refer to.

Yes, I believe that's where I stole the photo from....   I can only assume at this point that the coilpack is symmetrical, and doesn't matter which direction it's facing when hooking up the wires...

Here is my original ugly Magnavox ICM that I just opened-up:

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_1604.JPG

Edited by Luftweg

This is off the top of my head so I might be wrong... I believe the Magnavox coil packs have the plug wire numbers stamped near the base of the coils near the mounting screws. See if your new one does.  If so it would be good to keep the coil turned so the coil pack lines up the same way as the old one just in case it makes a difference.

43 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

This is off the top of my head so I might be wrong... I believe the Magnavox coil packs have the plug wire numbers stamped near the base of the coils near the mounting screws. See if your new one does.  If so it would be good to keep the coil turned so the coil pack lines up the same way as the old one just in case it makes a difference.

I just found the numbers on the new one; they are smaller, and moved closer to the terminal posts.... At first I thought there weren't any numbers.

That settles it, except for where the silicone grease is supposed to go....  Maybe it's just for around the terminal posts and spark plug wire boots?

IMG_1606.JPG

Edited by Luftweg

1 hour ago, Luftweg said:

That settles it, except for where the silicone grease is supposed to go....  Maybe it's just for around the terminal posts and spark plug wire boots?

If you want to use it I would put it on the boots but not get too carried away with it.  I think a good dielectric grease like Permatex Tune up grease, made for that purpose, would be better than plain silicon grease shown in that packet.

• Like 1

Interesting visual comparisons with the three Magnavox-style ICM/coilpacks I have (see the pictures below):

The coilpack on the new 'Herko' model is huge; much thicker than the other two (bottom 2 photos).

One of the older coilpacks is slightly thicker than the other.

The 'Herko' ICM and one of the older ICMs is thicker than the (apparently original) Magnavox model (the one that has the green goo leaking).

The inside of one of the older coilpacks has an interesting look (top photo)....

* I hope that the larger coilpack of the 'Herko' translates to being a stronger spark..

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1608.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

Edited by Luftweg
addition