Dead battery 2x

89RedCoupe

Poltergeists have infected my 89 Reatta. When I leave it under a cover for a week or so, I have come out to a totally dead battery. When I hook up a jumper cable, the parking lights come on indicating that that was what ran the battery down. The problem is that I never drive the car at night and don't turn the lights on during the day. I am careful not to leave anything on like that when it gets covered up, but it has happened twice to my new $150 battery. Is there some kind of fail-safe mechanism that is triggering the parking lights to come on all by themselves?

The other oddity on the positive side is that I had a shop replace the oil pan gasket and check other leaks. They said the transmission level was low and added some.. suddenly my gas mileage has gone from 23-4 to nearly 27!

Your comments welcomed..

My guess would be the headlight switch. When I first got my Reatta I could push the off button but even though the off button would go in, the lights didn't always turn off because the other buttons would stick in the on or partially on position. A good cleaning and lubricating by spraying WD-40 in the gaps around the buttons fixed it and it hasn't stuck since. However, I no longer recommend spraying the switch with WD-40 to others because it is flammable and could cause a fire.  If you have a spare headlight switch you should install it and see if that cures your problem.

I removed the switch and the backing plate to see inside.... Nothing obvious, but it has markings on it like it was a used part, so might start looking for a better one. I see a few new ones on eBay for a $100+

Several years ago I had a switch failure in my 90, which is a completely different switch but it manifested itself in the headlights turning themselves on while sitting in a parking lot while at work. Actually did it more than once in a single shift at work. 

12 hours ago, 89RedCoupe said:

I removed the switch and the backing plate to see inside.... Nothing obvious, but it has markings on it like it was a used part, so might start looking for a better one. I see a few new ones on eBay for a $100+

Jim Finn rebuilds the headlight switches. He probably has one already rebuilt and ready to ship at a reasonable price. Contact him at reattas60@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I need that switch...   Thank you.  I got all fixed up with Jim now...  I hope that is the end of the problems. 

Received a good tested switch from Jim and it is looking better now as far as light switch functions.  Thanks, Jim!

Does anyone know what the key-off current draw normally is for Reattas?

Edited by 89RedCoupe
update information