Timing chain replacement

Glenn88

hello I'm a new owner of a 1988 reatta looking for advice going to have the timing chain replaced is there anything else while they're in there that I should be replacing if anybody can help I would appreciate it Glenn 88

I would replace all the internal parts for sure. Items such as the cam sensor magnet and chain tensioner as well as the timing chain set. This is just my opinion, but I only use the original equipment Morse brand chain when doing this job. Optional would be a new crank oil seal in the front cover, water pump, crank sensor and coolant bypass hose on top of the front cover. All of these items are external and can be done without major disassembly after the fact, but if they must be removed and reinstalled anyway, or are exposed, I would consider new parts, especially if the history is unknown, or there are a bunch of miles on them.

• Agree 2

2Seater, thank you I really appreciate your response and that's what I'm going to have done to it

The Morse parts are discontinued although you can get them from a GM dealer. You call them up have them look for the number, they will say they don't have the parts and they are discontinued. You then ask them to do a dealer search that may have the parts. You will want the GM timing chain, timing gear, and chain tensioner. These will be the Morse brand parts 2seater is referring to.

The bypass hose, cam sensor, cam magnet, water pump, crank sea; and gaskets [oil pan, and timing cover come in a kit] and your mechanic will want to get those.

2seater sold me on the original equipment timing parts. After all I did get 130k, 266k, 195k on the Reattas I had done.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 4:06 PM, DAVES89 said:

The Morse parts are discontinued although you can get them from a GM dealer. You call them up have them look for the number, they will say they don't have the parts and they are discontinued. You then ask them to do a dealer search that may have the parts. You will want the GM timing chain, timing gear, and chain tensioner. These will be the Morse brand parts 2seater is referring to.

The bypass hose, cam sensor, cam magnet, water pump, crank sea; and gaskets [oil pan, and timing cover come in a kit] and your mechanic will want to get those.

2seater sold me on the original equipment timing parts. After all I did get 130k, 266k, 195k on the Reattas I had done.

Dave, I was going to replace the cam sensor magnet on my 1990, do you recommend just going ahead and doing the timing chain while I'm at it? Has 135k miles and no issues other than the check engine light being on for the cam magnet.

I did it on the 'vert and my mechanic friend said it was a good time to do it. I will also tell you that I went 265,000 miles on the Red before I would have done it on that car. However I bought a ultra low mileage '88 engine which according to 2seater [and I believe him] has a bit more HP. Still ended up doing some work on that engine before the install [with a rebuilt tranny].

So the easy answer is if you are pulling the timing cover to do the cam sensor sure swap it out. If you are doing the "quick" repair [see above in the "common problems" found in the tool bar then you may not want to.

• Agree 1

So I plan to do it as part of a more extensive job where I do the intake manifold gasket as well.  I'm thinking of going ahead and just replacing.  Do you know where I can find the part numbers for the Morse parts? In the event that I cannot find the original morse parts, is there a lesser of evils for aftermarket brands?  Just by looking at the pictures on Rock auto, the enginetech sprockets look to be machined parts from the picture, while the other brands look like sintered. Guessing machined would be better but have no idea.

The GM part number for the Morse chain is 25530114. It has to do with the top surface of the chain where it rubs against the tensioner. The smoother and flatter the surface, the longer the tensioner will last, at least that is my belief. I have had poor luck with the standard Cloyes replacement. The chain is the important part and the sprockets can be something else if desired. I am not fond of the new style replacement tensioner design either because of the relatively soft material and the limited thickness of the rubbing surface, but it seems there is little alternative. 

• Like 1