Leather Seat Restoration?

Philbo

Hey everyone,  I'm thinking of doing this to my Reatta driver's seat.  it's got some cracking in it and want to keep it from splitting.  What do you all think?  worth it or too risky?

I watched the video. I think you would have to do both seats completely to get a good color match.  I would not be satisfied with the match on the sofa arm compared to the rest of the sofa shown in the video. It looks easy enough to do but I wonder how it would hold up with a 250 pound butt sliding across it when getting in and out of the car.  The dye didn't appear to penetrate the leather to me, instead it seemed to just sit on top of the leather and filler in the video. Also it appears to be a little pricey for what you get. Just my 2 cents.

18 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I watched the video. I think you would have to do both seats completely to get a good color match.  I would not be satisfied with the match on the sofa arm compared to the rest of the sofa shown in the video. It looks easy enough to do but I wonder how it would hold up with a 250 pound butt sliding across it when getting in and out of the car.  The dye didn't appear to penetrate the leather to me, instead it seemed to just sit on top of the leather and filler in the video. Also it appears to be a little pricey for what you get. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah I had some of the same thoughts.  Most of my seats are in decent shape especially for 30 years old, but the driver seat has one or two cracks that I'm worried about splitting long term.  I was wondering if maybe at least putting the filler would help keep those cracks from splitting down the road.

If you have cracks in the leather the filler and dye might help. If you just have dark creases showing in the leather you should apply leather conditioner regularly to keep the leather from cracking.  That's what I do and over time they will start to look better and will be more flexible cut the creases are still visible.