Defrost Vent Not Budging

Tallicat

Any recommendation on removing the defrost vent? I'm going to replace the photocell and I have the 7 dash pad clips loose (I thought that would be the hard part since the How To Instructions focus mostly on it). The How To simply say remove the narrow vent cover (easier said that done).

I wish I could help but I've never had off my car because I'm afraid of breaking it.  I need to replace my photocell too.

The best luck I had removing the vent is to use a bent tip pry bar [the kind on a screwdriver handle]. Start at the middle at the slanted portion working to the outside edge. Have a charge card or piece of cardboard or plastic handy to slide under as you "pop" it off. 

Then once you get the vent grill off and the top dash pad drill 3 screw holes into the grill matching the pad. Then replacement is really easy [and future removal] as now the grill and dash pad come off as one unit.

If you break it i have extra. 

Edited by DAVES89

Thanks Dave, will try this today. The instructions in the how to say "First remove the narrow vent cover.  It needs to be removed, so that you can then remove the larger plastic dash pad [panel].  The vent cover will be either a "snap in" trim piece, or it will be held in place by 3 small torx screws."er with a 

That sure makes it sound like it's a piece of cake..lol

I'll try your method as I have a paint can remover with a bent tip on it. I think the key might be starting in the middle.

Thanks for the input.