Oil pressure

Frankie1460

Just recently replaced harmonic balancer and im now experiencing no oil pressure and engine is making loud ticking noise where did i go wrong? 1988 reatta

Edited by Frankie1460

Welcome to the forum!  It is odd that the harmonic balancer would cause an oil pressure problem. Maybe the balancer you used is the wrong one for your engine. Could you post the brand and part number of the harmonic balancer you installed?

That is a head scratcher. The drive for the oil pump at the crankshaft is a flat spot on the lower timing chain sprocket, which is on a key that is shared with the damper which also is held in place by the damper. Was anything else done in addition to the damper?

There is something hitting and making the noise and if the car runs I suspect it is external. I would first start with the support bar that is in the balancer area. When I replaced my engine on the Red for some reason there was not enough clearance and we had to install a washer. 

Also the no oil pressure. Is the connector to the oil pressure sensor connected or broken? Also is the oil pressure sensor good?

I was under the impression that the car will not start if there i no oil pressure.

4 hours ago, jon L said:

I was under the impression that the car will not start if there i no oil pressure.

I was curious about this so I went out to the garage and unplugged my oil pressure sensor to see if the engine would start without the ECM seeing oil pressure. The engine fired right up.

I don't know where I read or heard that, but I always thought that it would not start without oil pressure.

6 minutes ago, jon L said:

I don't know where I read or heard that, but I always thought that it would not start without oil pressure.

It's still possible that it might not run for very long.  The car was in the garage with the door down when I started it with the sensor unplugged so I didn't let it run but about a minute. 

Maybe you are thinking about the car not starting until it builds oil pressure if the fuel pump relay is bad.  There is a set of contacts in the oil pressure sensor that bypasses the relay and powers the fuel pump once the engine builds oil pressure.