Dashboard Troubleshooting

Nick

Hi All,

Finished my intake manifold replacement project, and now would like to get the digital dash figured out.  Before I send it out for repair, I'd like to see if I can eliminate any other possibilities.  This is a 1988.  

When I bought the car, the dash had already been pulled by the previous owner, who was pretty mechanically capable.  He said he'd heard that the power for the dash was routed through the headlight switch, so be replaced the switch.  That didn't do the job, and he traded the car to me before he could troubleshoot any further.  

Today I plugged the dash in to see exactly what it was doing.  Short answer is a lot of nothing.  Only one light comes on - the ABS indicator, for a few seconds when you first turn the ignition on, and then nothing.  When I hold down the "test" button, the only lights that come on are the Defrost/Rear Defrost indicators on those buttons.  Nothing else I can see.  Turn signals work but no indicators on the dashboard.  

Side note - when I hit the button for the headlights, only the parking lights come on, and the headlights don't pop up.  No interior dash lights come on when I hit the headlight switch.  When I hit the foglight switch on the center console, the dash buttons illuminate, but the digital dash shows nothing.  

Finally, no courtesy lights come on - nothing when I open the door, nothing when I hit the switches on the rearview mirror.  All the fuses look good.  

I've tried unplugging'/plugging the body module and the CRT control module, nothing changes. 

So, I'm hesitant to send the dash out for repair because it seems like there's a separate electrical issue.  Any thoughts?  

Thanks,

Nick

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Is the CRT and touch screen working?

Yes, that's working fine.  

Try sliding the dimmer on the headlight switch all the way to the right and see if the IPC lights up or the interior lights come on.

Have you checked fuse #8 (Cruise Control) with a meter to make sure it is good? The FSM shows that is the fuse that supplies power to the IPC.  You might have a bad IPC but it's unusual for the idiot lights along the bottom not to work even when the IPC is bad.  Before sending it out you might want to check the Grounds behind the battery to make sure they are clean and tight.  The IPC and other electronics are grounded there. Ground Terminals & Junction Box Location

Wow, I never would have figured that the cruise control fuse would be linked to the IPC.  Thanks!  I'll check that and the grounds when I'm back at my shop tomorrow and keep you posted.  Much appreciated.  

Nick

• Like 1

Just for grins I would take the seats out and remove the front carpet then check the wire connections on both the driver's and passenger's side. Your "gremlins" could start there.

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Just for grins I would take the seats out and remove the front carpet then check the wire connections on both the driver's and passenger's side. Your "gremlins" could start there.

Good idea! Here is some things to check. Wire Splice Repair

Fuses and grounds are good.  

I'm going to stop here with the car because I have other projects that need to take precedence.  I just put her up for sale on the AACA site.  

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.  

Nick

• Like 1