My first encounter with RockAuto

Ronnie

I was wanting to get new shocks for GMC truck and when I saw RockAuto had them on Closeout I decided to give them a shot. They had Gabriel shocks (good brand) for $13.85 each. That is a big savings even over Amazon's price of $29.50 with free shipping. I bought 4 shocks for a total of $71.55 including shipping and tax. That's not a bad price. 

I ordered on Thursday and they shipped the same day via FedEx. They were scheduled to arrive on Tuesday but FedEx delivered them today. I'm very impressed with the speed they were shipped and how quick they arrived from Sugar Land, TX.

When I opened the package I noticed that the side of it was mashed in a little so I opened up all the individual boxes the shocks were in to make sure none of the shocks were damaged. One of the boxes looked like it had been mashed on the side and although the shock didn't look damaged at first, upon closer inspection it had been bent and wouldn't compress at all.  I knew it wasn't going to work and would need to be returned... which I was dreading because I didn't know what to expect out of RockAuto.

I went straight to the computer and looked for my receipt RockAuto had emailed to me when I purchased the shocks. Right there in the email was a link to RockAuto's Returns webpage.  I went through about a 5 minute process of filling out the return form explaining that the shock had been damaged in shipping. I had a choice of getting a refund or a replacement part. I selected replacement. At the end of filling out the form I was told that I would be shipped a replacement shock and I was also told there was NO NEED to send back the damaged shock absorber but I did need to keep the damaged box in case FedEx asked to see it.  Because of the Coronavirus I had flattened the shipping box and put it in the trash can but I will keep it in case FedEx wants to see it. ?

Twenty minutes after I filled out the return form I got an email saying the replacement shock had been shipped and would arrive on Wednesday.   So far I'm extremely happy with RockAuto's service.  If they offered free shipping they would be my go-to auto parts store but I've found Amazon beats their regular price on most items I buy if you include the price of shipping in the cost.

• Agree 2

Rock Auto is very accommodating when it comes to making it right. If you remember just a month ago when my Buick Enclave had a "Service Engine Soon" light come on I placed an overnight order for coils and spark plugs not realizing that even the overnight would get there too late. I canceled within the hour and they caught it and stopped the order. [I then went to Advance and ordered from them using a 25% discount and Speed Perks and paid about the same].

I also had [previously from Rock Auto] received an order with an open box and parts missing. They sent out the replacement no questions asked.

You are correct in that ordering just one part with freight from Rock Auto might be more expensive then either locally or from Amazon. But as I have previously stated just order some maintenance items [oil/air filters, brake pads, wiper blades, light bulbs] and then you come out way ahead.

Right now I am so stocked with new aftermarket parts that I could open my own Reatta store. 

Without checking I ordered a new fuel filter and front brake lines only to find that the P.O. replaced the rubber lines [found when I redid the caliper bracket bolts] and included an extra fuel filter in a box of other "goodies". I also purchased an extra timing chain, sprocket, and cam magnet only to see that they replaced also.

So if anyone needs anything...

13 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

You are correct in that ordering just one part with freight from Rock Auto might be more expensive then either locally or from Amazon. But as I have previously stated just order some maintenance items [oil/air filters, brake pads, wiper blades, light bulbs] and then you come out way ahead.

I wanted to order new brake rotors and pads for the GMC at the same time I was ordering the shocks. The brake parts were at regular price and they were only slightly cheaper than Amazon. The shocks would be shipped from warehouse A and the brake parts would be shipped from warehouse B. I was surprised to find that they charge a separate shipping charge for each warehouse the parts are shipped from. The shipping on the shocks from Sugar Land, TX (warehouse A) was $11.99. To ship the brake parts from warehouse B they wanted $15.99. I guess because of the additional weight of the brake rotors.  If they had just charged one shipping charge for the order I would have purchased the brake parts from them but when you factor in the extra shipping charge from warehouse B Amazon is cheaper on the brake parts.

Closeout parts is where the big savings are at RockAuto.  How do I get on RockAuto's mailing list to get a Closeout parts list for my Reatta and GMC?

20 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

....  How do I get on RockAuto's mailing list to get a Closeout parts list for my Reatta and GMC?

Create a RockAuto account.  Then go to the drop down box entitled "Profile".  Within "Profile" there will be an box entitled "Account Settings" where you can change a password, or email address, plus click on the "Yes" button to receive RockAuto News Letter and Discount Emails.  Then hit "Save".

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ship said:

Create a RockAuto account.  Then go to the drop down box entitled "Profile".  Within "Profile" there will be an box entitled "Account Settings" where you can change a password, or email address, plus click on the "Yes" button to receive RockAuto News Letter and Discount Emails.  Then hit "Save".

I've not done that but I have seen that when I scroll through parts that I want to buy the closeouts are shown.

36 minutes ago, ship said:

I signed up for an account and now I'm all set to get the closeout emails. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of RockAuto; I usually end up getting anything I don't need right away from them. FYI, I'm doing the intake manifold, oil pan gasket, and trans pan gasket on my '88, and all three gasket sets were on closeout for a few bucks apiece.  The whole order cost less than one item would have at AutoZone.  

• Like 1