What kind of Transmission Fluid for 1990 Reatta?

Philbo

So getting ready to do a trans fluid change.  I was planning on just dropping the pan, replacing the filter and then topping off. The owners manual says to use Dexron II or equivalent. Should I use Dexron III or Mercon V?  I was going to use Dex III, but the Bottle for Mercon V says compatible with Dexron II. I think I saw someone on a different forum say not to use the Mercon.  What do you all suggest?

I am sure there are many opinions as there are on spark plugs, engine oil etc...but unless price is a big difference, hard to go wrong with the Dexron. Some people use Type F, used in older Fords, to firm up shifts, but unless there is an existing issue with the trans. using the OEM recommended fluid makes sense to me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I buy mine from Menards [ a big box retailer in my area]. It is called Dex-Merc and I think is made by Valvoline and comes in a blue bottle. It is Dexron III compatible, which means that it works in all transmissions up to grade III.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

I buy mine from Menards [ a big box retailer in my area]. It is called Dex-Merc and I think is made by Valvoline and comes in a blue bottle. It is Dexron III compatible, which means that it works in all transmissions up to grade III.

I think I got the same kind you mention.  This stuff

Screenshot_20200223-000242.png