Stall Issue

Philbo

Had a weird issue this morning when I went to leave for work. I put the car in reverse and it stalled.  Started back up, but tested it a couple times and every time I shift into reverse it bogs the engine way down.  Seems to be specific to the reverse gear.  Thoughts?

Does it always stall when you put it in reverse or just when it's cold? Does it work correctly every time you put it in drive?  If so it would seem the problem would be something wrong internally with the transmission.

On 2/19/2020 at 11:26 PM, Ronnie said:

Does it always stall when you put it in reverse or just when it's cold? Does it work correctly every time you put it in drive?  If so it would seem the problem would be something wrong internally with the transmission.

only seems to do it when it's cold.  Not every time either.  Maybe not transmission related. I don't know.

That is peculiar. Assuming fluid level and vacuum line to the modulator are good. Since it is when cold, is the idle higher than normal at that time which will likely cause greater engine movement when shifting moving something else? Try shifting direct park to neutral and then back to reverse which will usually soften the hit/clunk going park to reverse. Does that help?

8 minutes ago, 2seater said:

That is peculiar. Assuming fluid level and vacuum line to the modulator are good. Since it is when cold, is the idle higher than normal at that time which will likely cause greater engine movement when shifting moving something else? Try shifting direct park to neutral and then back to reverse which will usually soften the hit/clunk going park to reverse. Does that help?

I will have to try tomorrow morning when it is cold.  The pan gasket does leak so I have had to top off the trans fluid. The idle seems right for being cold. Which vacuum line are you talking about?

7 minutes ago, Philbo said:

I will have to try tomorrow morning when it is cold.  The pan gasket does leak so I have had to top off the trans fluid. The idle seems right for being cold. Which vacuum line are you talking about?

The vacuum line for the vacuum modulator is on the top front of the transmission near the electrical connection. If the line is bad or disconnected, the full engine vacuum will not get to the modulator which controls shift firmness. Low vacuum = firm

7 minutes ago, 2seater said:

The vacuum line for the vacuum modulator is on the top front of the transmission near the electrical connection. If the line is bad or disconnected, the full engine vacuum will not get to the modulator which controls shift firmness. Low vacuum = firm

Ah, I am guessing that is not the problem  because it typically shifts rather gently.

Edited by Philbo

Maybe the motor mount is bad causing too much movement of the engine. Maybe pop the hood and see how much movement there is? Common failure is the dog bone on top of the motor.

Are we trying to chase down the cause of the engine stalling when you put the transmission in reverse or a clunk in the transmission when you put it in reverse? I really don't know how to respond because I'm not sure what we are trying to fix. ?

Engine stalling or "dragging it down" as described. There was no mention of clunk in the post it was a question I had, essentially wondering if engine movement might have something to do with the stall, maybe a harness being pulled or something making contact. Not meant as a detour, just a wayside?

I'm wondering if the IAC is failing to react quick enough for some reason to the extra load on the engine when the transmission is put in reverse.  I think I would try holding the RPM at a fast idle with your foot on the accelerator and see if the engine still tries to stall even though you are trying to keep it running with your foot.  Might give a hint about what is going on.

Yeah, I'll have to try that.  The last time I drove it, I didn't have the problem.  It has only happened twice so far, both on cold mornings.  Next cold morning I'm going to try some of these things and see how it goes.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Are we trying to chase down the cause of the engine stalling when you put the transmission in reverse or a clunk in the transmission when you put it in reverse? I really don't know how to respond because I'm not sure what we are trying to fix. ?

18 hours ago, 2seater said:

Engine stalling or "dragging it down" as described. There was no mention of clunk in the post it was a question I had, essentially wondering if engine movement might have something to do with the stall, maybe a harness being pulled or something making contact. Not meant as a detour, just a wayside?

My comment may have sounded different from the way I intended.  I wasn't complaining about getting off topic. Just trying to decide what I could offer to the conversation.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

My comment may have sounded different from the way I intended.  I wasn't complaining about getting off topic. Just trying to decide what I could offer to the conversation.

I understood the comment, so no issues on my end. From follow-on posts it sounds like either intermittent or maybe just a special circumstance, so maybe monitor and report if it re-occurs?

• Agree 1

I think the reverse gear is a red herring honestly.  Started it up this morning and no symptoms at all. Shifted into reverse nice and smooth and no stall.  It was quite a bit warmer this morning.  I think it is an idle problem in cold temperatures.  I think I'm going to clean the IAC valve and see what that does.