CRT dead again....

89RedCoupe

After the relay swap a few weeks ago, the CRT was working normally, but then the mode buttons around the edge became unstable or quit working. Drove the car this morning for 26 miles, parked for a few hours and when I started back home, the CRT went blank again. I thought I would be clever and replace the two RAP relays that I had swapped before to get it working, but after paying $40 for a pair of Standard Relays from the auto parts stores, I get no joy at all. I can hear the edge buttons working somewhat but the screen has gone black permanently, it seems. All of the fuses are checked and fine. 

I tracked down an OEM ignition switch from eBay seller for $45, so I guess that is the next step in repairs. 

Edited by 89RedCoupe
update information

I have extra used CRTs if you are interested. However I am on vacation and won't return until March 1. I also don't know what I paid for them to arrive at a price. If interested I can be reached at;

lemke1044@aol.com

Thank you for the offer... I guess if the switch doesn't fix it, then the CRT is on the way out of service.

The CRT is demented. Black screen last week after working for a week. Let the car sit for 4-5 days, started it up today, screen back on in default settings. Initially mode buttons working okay, but after the car has been driven for awhile, the mode buttons become randomly working or not working. Can't get back to summary screen unless you shut the engine off and then turn on again. I did receive the NOS ignition switch assembly, but have to research how to install it and I see that there are some extra parts that  might be needed to engage it properly.  

For 1988-1991 Buick Reatta Ignition Switch Rack 32115JC 1989 1990

The switch is at the bottom of the steering column and isn't too hard to replace. If the other parts shown in your link are bad it's a different story. I've heard people say it easier to replace the steering column than to replace those parts inside the steering column.

• Like 1

Another day and another mystery CRT experience. I got into the car and the REATTA displayed on the CRT.  I started the engine and the display didn't light up. Drove it for 30 miles and part-way during the drive the display lit up. Shut off for 4 hours and on restart no display, however all the mode buttons seemed to be responding with the normal beep-beep. Will try to tackle the ignition switch tomorrow, but it seems like I am throwing good money after bad. We'll see...... 

I can't remember what was going on when the "hard" buttons wouldn't work. But here is what I know. If the only hard button that works when the ignition is in the "run" position is the radio then you have an ignition issue. If it goes dark then you have a CRT issue. If the RAP has failed then you would have a loss of power to both the Speedo and the CRT causing a code to be set and maybe an error on the Speedo.

Your last post indicates a failed CRT.

Not to pick on you, but here is my opinion.

If one plans on keeping their Reatta for any length of time they need to consider carrying extra components, such as the silver boxes, headlight switch, CRT [if '88/89] IPC, and Ignition Module/Coil Pack all known working. Then if a failure happens or problem occurs a replacement known working unit can be installed and you are running good again. You then buy another component to replenish your back stock inventory. 

I really am not on the level of Ronnie on diagnostics, but that is okay for me as I have lots of extra parts that I can swap in when something occurs and I am back on the road.

Okay... got the switch changed out... no help with the CRT display problem.

Edited by 89RedCoupe

• 2 weeks later...

Well, thanks to  Dave Lemke, I have an operable CRT once again. Blew $100 on relays and ignition switches with no results, so there isn't too much left except for a dying CRT which is what appears to have happened.

Dave gave me a great deal on a good used unit, plus quick shipping across the country. My Reatta's smile has returned and so has mine.  Thanks, Dave!

I hope that fixes your problem. Dave is a great guy who has helped a lot of Reatta owners including me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks guys. I do have 4 more CRTs and would like to sell 2 of them. The 2 for sale work great but the 6 "hard" buttons do not illuminate. They are still seen due to the illumination from the CRT screen, but are not perfect in only that regard. Otherwise they work great. I would be interested in selling them for a reduced price. 

If one plans on keeping their Reatta, it is not a bad idea to have extra parts especially the Reatta only ones.

If interested I can be reached at;

lemke1044@aol.com

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

...... Dave is a great guy who has helped a lot of Reatta owners including me.

And me...thanks Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New to the Reatta (as in, I just picked mine up in a trade deal today), so forgive me if I'm asking something that's common knowledge... But are there any vendors out there that rebuild the CRT units, or do you just have to hope you find a good used one when they go out?  

Thanks,

Nick

Welcome to the forum Nick. There are vendors that can be trusted who sell good used Reatta parts.  You may get a response from one of the vendors who are members of this forum soon or you can contact one of them. I can recommend  Dave (LEMKE1044@AOL.COM) and Jim Finn (reattas60@gmailcom). I have purchased parts from both of them.

Eddie Voland, Westminster MD, rebuilds the CRT's.  Phone: 443-536-9591

This section of ROJ lists several vendors that you might need in the future. There are vendors listed that rebuild the instrument panels.

I have two used ones where the back lights on the hard buttons don't light up but otherwise looks and works great. One one the top three light up but not the bottom three. In the other one all 6 hard buttons are dark. 

I would discount those if you are interested.

If interested you can e mail me at;

lemke1044@aol.com