CRT diagnosis- repaired

89RedCoupe

I have to say that this site is so full of helpful information which lead me to a quickie repair job on a blanked out CRT screen. The function buttons were working, but no display could be seen.  The first time this happened I pulled the dash apart, checked the wiring connections and reinstalled everything. It started working again, much to my surprise. It has been fine for the past few weeks, but I let the car sit for a week or so and when I jumped back in to go for a drive.... blank CRT again!

I checked the DIY section on CRT and the RAP relays were mentioned as a possible problem, assuming the 25 amp fuse was still intact. Fuse was fine, so I pulled the panel and swapped the two RAP relays from side to side and the display has come back up again! Yay! I assume that the relays are some kind of generic GM/aftermarket part, so I better go line up a couple of them for the future. 

What could have been grim news, turned out to be a simple fix. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Good to hear that.  I'm glad ROJ was able to help you find the problem.  Thanks for letting us know!

Hmmm I was hoping for feedback on relay sources or options beyond Delco for the car. Anyway, the car has been driven for the past 2 days with a fully functioning display. I should lay in some new relays though.

The car is averaging around 23-24 mpg, in mixed driving. If only I could get the ABS light to go away....  codes suggest that both rear sensors are bad. I did remove each one from the brake plate and cleaned off the ends, but it made no difference. 

What does the original relay look like? Most of the ones I find all over my car are Hella brand, but almost any 30 amp five terminal relay will work, however, be sure the diagram of operation on the side matches the original. Generally I use Bosch brand but the one shown in that link should work fine.  I usually grab a bunch from the salvage yard just for spares.

I didn't study the relays.. I just popped them loose and swapped the two, then put the cover back in place. I'll see if I can get a peek without taking everything apart again, but the car only has 80k  miles on it and most everything seems original to the car. I took it out for a 60 mile run yesterday and it bounced back up from 23.5 to 24.1mpg on the running mileage function.