Does RockAuto.com charge sales tax?

Ronnie

Comparing prices of parts between Amazon and RockAuto for my new-to-me GMC truck.  I have never ordered from RockAuto before. Do they add sales tax to the order?

GMC signature photo.JPG

They do, but that makes no difference to Wisconsin residents as Amazon charges us sales tax also because they have a warehouse here.

Pay close attention to shipping charges from Rock Auto. Before you know it you could be ordering from 3-4 different warehouses. That is where the real costs are.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks Dave. Amazon charges sales tax for TN residents to but on most items I get free shipping. Something RockAuto doesn't offer. .  I was going to look at the bottom line and I didn't know if I needed to add tax to the total cost at Rock.

Dave has a very good point about the different shipping points. I always go to Retail me Not for a discount code, generally it is enough to pay the sales tax. The site sometimes suggests common warehoused parts when ordering to reduce shipping. 

• Thanks 1

After you order the first item you will see a little truck next to some of the items you also might be interested in. That tells you it is the same warehouse as items you have in your cart. So that means that sometimes a lower cost item from a different warehouse might be more expensive then a higher priced item from the same warehouse because of freight. Then once you have your order set what I then do is go back and buy other items that I can add to the order that are from the same warehouses that may not add to the freight charge. These items might be oil/air filters, wiper blades, relays, brake pads, spark plugs/wires, etc. As long as the freight charge doesn't increase I consider it a good deal.

Of course if you don't drive many miles that may not be as important, but for me it makes sense.

I just placed an order an did just that. I started needing oil pan gaskets and timing chain gasket set [2 each]. Then I added front brake lines, front brake rotors and pads, wiper blades, oil filters. Then I added an air filter for my wife's Enclave and then oil/air/cabin filter for my daughter's KIA. The order was about $125.00 with about $27.00 of that in freight but look at all the stuff I got and will probably use in the next 6 months.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

At times, Rock Auto sends out a 5% discount code to its users.  Any/all folks are OK to use the discount code.  Normally, over at the Riv Performance Forum (http://rivperformance.editboard.com/forum) you can find that someone has listed the most recent code that's good to use until a prescribed expiration date.  You don't have to be a frequent/past/present Rock Auto user to take advantage of the discount.  However, in order to acquire the code you need to have a Riv Performance Forum ID/Password.  When ordering at Rock Auto, there is a box labeled "How did you hear about us" on the Payment/Shipping screen.  That's where you enter the discount code.

Edited by ship
  • Thanks 1

Dont forget about all those sweet frig magnets that you get in all the Rock boxes.......4x2 pics of all your buddies rides restored with Rock parts.  Gotta love a garage door loaded up with those little magnetic pics or slapped all over your garage frig to see as your going for a Goldie Oldie cold one.

But that is true about shipping.....best to try to get your order shipped from 1 Rock location to reduce shipping costs.

4 minutes ago, Studebaker said:

Dont forget about all those sweet frig magnets that you get in all the Rock boxes.......4x2 pics of all your buddies rides restored with Rock parts.  Gotta love a garage door loaded up with those little magnetic pics or slapped all over your garage frig to see as your going for a Goldie Oldie cold one.

But that is true about shipping.....best to try to get your order shipped from 1 Rock location to reduce shipping costs.

I forgot about the magnetic photos. I wonder how many different ones there are? I have 30 of them in one place and only one duplicate. I just looked and maybe answered my own question, at least partially. Lowest number I have is #1, a Camaro, and the other end is #170, a Ford five ton truck and my duplicate is ironically enough, a full size 60's Buick, #144.

• Like 1

2seater......I never noticed that they were numbered, and I will check mine next time.  But I have not seen a Reatta on one yet.  Guess I need to send them an email with a pic so maybe it will eventually get back to one of us.

44 minutes ago, Studebaker said:

2seater......I never noticed that they were numbered, and I will check mine next time.  But I have not seen a Reatta on one yet.  Guess I need to send them an email with a pic so maybe it will eventually get back to one of us.

I haven't seen a Reatta either. Not that it matters much but I looked at the collection in better light this morning and 001 is a red Mustang? I shouldn't admit on an automotive forum that I can't tell a Mustang from a Camaro at a glance is downright embarrassing, but clarity is important.

• Haha 1