Reatta owners don't know how lucky they are

Ronnie

When a question is asked about how to repair a Reatta you usually get a reply on the forum or on the other forum within minutes or a few hours at most.  I have grown use to that.

I purchased a nice 2001 GMC Sierra to have something to tinker with a maybe make a few bucks on if I decide not to keep it.  It needs a few minor repairs done, mostly electrical, to get it in tip top shape.  I don't have a repair manual for it yet so I thought I would find a GMC Sierra (same as Chevy Silverado) forum to get some help. I have joined two GMC/Chevy truck forums and asked a few questions.  That was two days ago and so far I haven't gotten a reply to any of the questions that I asked.  I guess I was expecting too much...

• Like 1

• Ronnie changed the title to Reatta owners don't know how lucky they are

Ronnie, that is the thing that has always amazed me about the Reatta forums. Back in my early days when I had much to learn I was constantly amazed at the amount of brain power we had and the willingness to share, and with a quick response. I couldn't wait to learn so I could in turn share and help others.

On no other forum do I see what we have here.

Edited by DAVES89

Beside the Reatta forums responding quickly, I find the only others are Riviera related:  ROA and Riv Performance forums.  They were a great help to me when I had questions re: my '85, two '92s' and '96 & '97 Rivieras.  I really appreciate this forum and the ROJ

Edited by ship
  • Thanks 1

When I first got my Reatta and found the AACA forum I was very grateful for all the help I got. I started ROJ as a way make it easy to find Reatta repair information. It was my way of showing appreciation for the help I received when I really needed it.   I'm glad you guys are still around.  If it weren't for you guys I would probably have sold my Reatta by now and moved on to something else.

• Like 3

I agree.........amazingly fast response to questions on this site!  (But I still need to figure out why I dont get email alerts to new posts, so I just have to click on the site and look for the new posts).

I have an old 1968 Case backhoe and found great help/commodery  on the Heavy Equipment Site, but other vehicle makes/models forum sites can be real lacking.   Its hard to remember those days way back before the internet when I was restoring old relics (1927 Nash, old Studebaker Hawks, 60s Dodge Chargers, etc.), and had no help, except for Hemmings, car magazines, owners manuals/shop manuals and shade-tree mechanic advice.  So, there is no excuse for the younger generation to jump into old cars and learn the fun/challenging art of restoring/maintaining them.

Funny......when we needed old parts, it was just the yearly trip up to the Carlisle/Hershey antique car shows, Hemmings, the local junk yard.......but today we can buy parts from all accross the US and World via the internet.  Next, I guess that 3D printing will allow people to just print their needed parts on the printer and go slap them onto the car.......then, maybe these forums will become extinct?  But we all will surely be those old dinasaurs, just a geologist's curiosity.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Speaking as a newly minted Reatta owner myself, I want to add my two cents.  I've been interested in cars all my life (now 67) and not since I was a young, single guy have I had a car that was mine alone again  I find myself in possession of a truly fascinating car, but with it's uniqueness comes many unusual aspects.  

To have an online source like this which gives almost immediate response from guys with years of experience with these cars is priceless!  Once I can stop buying parts and get my car fixed up, I intend to make a contribution to the site.  Thanks, guys!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fun car guy said:

To have an online source like this which gives almost immediate response from guys with years of experience with these cars is priceless!

I'm glad you find ROJ useful. I  hope we can help you get your Reatta running the way it should.

• Like 3

For sure, the ROJ Forum is extremely helpful and the members provide much assistance, and as stated above, promptly. The "How To" and "vendor" sections are another source of great information.

However, another forum I am a member of is the Chevy SSR Forum (http://www.ssrfanatic.com). The members there are equally responsive, and they, too, have a "How To"  section that is extremely helpful. There is a member on the SSR site named "Dicktator" who is the equivalent of "Ronnie" on the ROJ

The limited production of the Reatta, as well as the limited production of the SSR (mine is an "04), and due to the ages of both, a well run forum and people willing to help as I have seen with both forums, is indispensable.  

I'm also a member of the Camaro Forum (http://camaro5.com) which seems to be pretty active, too. However, since my Camaro SS is a 2010, and not as unique as either the Reatta or the SSR, I find that I do not visit that site very often. 

• Thanks 2

Ron, I took a look at both of those websites and they look great. A few more advertisements than I like but both sites are still getting lots of posts and the ads probably pay the bills for the website. I've not been able to figure out how to do that with this website.

• Thanks 1