1990 reatta motor keeps shutting off

Bentwoodtimbers

My reatta keeps shutting off (acts like just shut off) while driving and other times it wont start after being parked intermittently like no spark to engine - any ideas? the other day it wouldn't start, disc battery waited and reconnect - still no start , then later it started right up???

I would bet on the crank sensor or the ignition control module under the coils, if it just shuts off rather than loses power more gradually.

I changed the crank sensor and since I was in the area did the cam sensor also - not touched the ignition module yet - any precautions and any diagnosis options before replacing?

You already did the hardest item. Verify it doesn't have spark when it won't start and of course check that it also has adequate fuel pressure. Examine the ICM closely for signs of overheating and softening of the potting material in the ICM.

yes excellent advice - it was the ignition module - hasn't missed a beat since I switched it out - thanks for the help "2seater" you were spot on!! 

• Like 2

Bentwoodtimbers,

I'm glad you were able to get your Reatta running smoothly again!  I also appreciate the fact that you came back to the Forum and reported what worked for you - thank you, that is the epitome of being a productive, helpful member of our family!!!

Many people in the future will be able to read your story and may be able to repair their Reatta . . . and, of course, thanks be to Ronnie for accumulating all these fixes in one place and providing opportunities for people to share photos and stories about all things Reatta!!!

Its January, time to make a small contribution towards the costs of providing this forum - thank you Ronnie for all you do!!!

8 minutes ago, Nittany said:

ts January, time to make a small contribution towards the costs of providing this forum - thank you Ronnie for all you do!!!

Thank you Nittany for your kind words and for your donation. Very much appreciated!