Window Motor

Jay

Well it looks like I am going to replace my passenger side window motor for the third time since I purchased the car in August with the original motor.  This last time I spent quite a bit of time greasing the side tracks and aligning the rails so that the window traveled up and down smoothly.  If there are no breakers tripped, what else should I look for that might cause the motor to stop working?  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Maybe a short in the wire going to the door?  Is the ground for the motor in the door itself, or does the ground go back thru a wire to another ground?

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the switch and all is fine.  I hooked it up to another motor and it works without any issues.  I pulled the old one out and it is definitely dead.  I installed my fourth brand new motor.  I tried realigning the tracks but I do not hear or see any type of hindrance other than the physical weight of the window.  Spring seems to hold plenty of tension and motor is securely nutted to the spring plate.  My plan is to not open my window. ?

Are you getting all your motors from the same place.   If so you might want to try another vendor next time.  The window motors normally last for years.

On the other hand... your switch could be sticking and causing power to remain on the window motor when you release it. That would burn the  motor up but you should notice the motor continuing to run when you release the button with the window partially up. Have you noticed anything erratic the operation of the button?

The motors are Dorman brand off Amazon.  The driver's side has been fine.  I don't think the switch is sticking as I had a motor out of the regulator frame and tested it's function prior to installing regulator.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

I think the vent window is adjustable. Maybe it is out of adjustment and the window gets tighter as it goes up putting excessive load on the motor. Just guessing...

I had 2 of the Dorman motors installed within 3 years. I had a AC Delco motor installed and it lasted 6 years til I sold the car.

• Like 1