New to me 1990 Reatta won't enter Diagnostics on IPC

Corellian Corvette

Purchased a 1990 Reatta today which looks to be in good shape (99K miles). Tried to read the codes from the IPC but when pressing the button, it flashes for a second then goes back to normal. Car has stock radio and looks to be unmodified. I was told when I purchased it that the owner had the cluster sent off for repair. 

Fortunately, I had another ECM which I swapped the ROM chip and plugged in - no dice. 

Checked fuses and the BCM 20amp fuse was blown (drove the car home like that!) and still nothing. 

I have another 1990 Reatta that works great, so I grabbed the BCM from that car and plugged it in to test - still no dice.

So at this point I have tested with a new BCM, new ECM, and still not able to enter diagnostics mode. I'm now thinking it might be the Cluster itself. 

Any ideas? 

That's not the problem. All the buttons work, but when I press them to access diagnostics the IPS flashes (like it's going to do it) then just goes back to normal. 

I would have said the same as Ronnie and you have already swapped the big players. Long shot, but is the jumper cover on the ALDL connector? The other curious thing is the cluster was possibly repaired and maybe a fault is still present?

• Agree 1

Try removing the IPC and cleaning the electrical connections with contact cleaner.

It's a bad IPC. Tested with a known good one, and was able to enter diagnostics. 

• Like 3