1991 ABS wheel sensors

ship

If anyone comes up with the one year only '91 front ABS sensors, please let me know...I'm down to one in my personal inventory.

Just go to www.car-part.com and look for a knee assembly for a 1991 Reatta. They are out there for $60.00 or less then you just have to cut the lead out or swap out your knee assembly for that one.

I think there are some at Gibsons, I could get for you.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Thanks 1

ship.....yep, sounds like your inventory is getting dangerously low.  Im sure I would sleep better at night if I had a couple front and rear sensors stashed away in my Reatta parts box......"in tha booth, in tha back, in tha dark, in tha corner".  (Laugh-In, circa 1969)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Just go to www.car-part.com and look for a knee assembly for a 1991 Reatta. They are out there for $60.00 or less then you just have to cut the lead out or swap out your knee assembly for that one.

I think there are some at Gibsons, I could get for you.

Dave...If you just happen to be at Gibson's in the Spring and there just happens to be either a '91 Reatta or a '91 Riviera in the lot, I'd be grateful if you could part out 1 left and 1right ABS sensor.  Would gladly send whatever $$ for your time/materials.

Many thanks for thinking of my ABS inventory problem.  Wife just doesn't understand what the big deal is that why one quarter of my cellar is dedicated to Reatta/Caddy spare parts!  Used to be more when I owned the '92 Riviera!   

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

I have always been amazed that one hardly ever hears about someone needing a one year only ABS sensor lead that is found on the '91. In all my years selling parts I only had one guy [other then you] ask about them. What I did for him was get a set of front hub assemblies off a low mileage well care for Riv. I told him it would be easier for him to just swap out the assemblies [and cheaper too]. Must have worked as I never heard from him again.

Dave...if that's the easiest way for you, I'd be OK with the assemblies.  But, I don't want you to go out of your way to do this...if you think of it in the Spring then go ahead.  BTW, I do plan on attending the BCA Nat'l in OH in 2020...might be a good time to receive them from you if you are also planning on attending.

2 hours ago, ship said:

Dave...if that's the easiest way for you, I'd be OK with the assemblies.  But, I don't want you to go out of your way to do this...if you think of it in the Spring then go ahead.  BTW, I do plan on attending the BCA Nat'l in OH in 2020...might be a good time to receive them from you if you are also planning on attending.

The spring?!? Right now it's 45 degrees... a regular heat wave. I was thinking about going out there Thursday anyway. A good reason for doing what I call "window shopping". It's been a while...

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

The spring?!? Right now it's 45 degrees... a regular heat wave. I was thinking about going out there Thursday anyway. A good reason for doing what I call "window shopping". It's been a while...

I'm OK with that too if you've got absolutely nothing more important to do .  Just wish there were Reattas/Rivieras at my Pn'P.  Each year less and less American brand autos other than trucks.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread!!  Sorry about that. :classic_ninja:

Ship.....Hijack?  Not at all......all this is good information.  Makes me seriously think about keeping my eye out for another Reatta for future parts.  There is a Youtube video where some guy had a chance to buy 5 Reatta's for $1000.  3 had been sitting outside for many years, and 2 were in the barn.  He filmed all these cars, and was very tempted, but then backed down.....he said that they all went to the crusher the next day.  That would have been a sweet deal for someone who had an empty storage building to put them in.  Here is the video:

• Sad 1

For those of you who might not be aware of the uniqueness of the one year only '91 front ABS sensor.  Note that there's no silver canister:

1005948646_IMG_0159(002).jpg.dcbd06d07eb373483be91ceef87418af.jpg91278092_IMG_0160(002).jpg.ef8cc92fff502fc37a0ea5dab3627a7f.jpg

Edited by ship
  • Thanks 1

On 12/26/2019 at 11:20 AM, DAVES89 said:

Doesn't matter if they work in the hubs or not, the pin ends are different. 

There is a 1991 Riv and a 1991 Olds Troefero out there. How many hubs/sensors do you want?

If the '91 sensor would fit the earlier knuckle, which seems logical to me unless they are machined differently, and if the resistance value is in range, might it be possible to change the connector, either on the sensor or the car??

11 hours ago, 2seater said:

If the '91 sensor would fit the earlier knuckle, which seems logical to me unless they are machined differently, and if the resistance value is in range, might it be possible to change the connector, either on the sensor or the car??

The sensor lead on the car side of all years would be the easiest to change as the lead from the car may not be coaxial [I know the '88-90 is just two insulated wires]. While the 88-90 ABS leads are coaxial and one would have to use a coaxial TV repair fitting to swap heads, not sure about the '91 as I have never taken one apart and have limited exposure to it. I have thought more about why so few '91 leads are needed. It's because there are so few in number and as the last year were more likely to be "babied" [not exposed to year round driving].

Edited by DAVES89