Reatta Suspension question

Philbo

Have a suspension question here. Having never owned a convertible before let alone a reatta convertible, I wanted a 2nd take.  When I go over bumps in the road sometimes it seems like there is a bit of a side to side wobble in the car. Not wobble in the steering, more like the rear view mirror shakes back and forth a little.  I have inspected the suspension components and everything seems pretty tight to me.  I mean it is a 30 year old car so I would imagine the shocks are in need of replacing and maybe some of the bushings may be a little worn, but how much of that is "normal"?  Is some of that just because it's a convertible and I'm just used to hard top cars, or should I be looking for a problem.  Mind you, it's not like it feels like the car is going to fall apart or anything. It really drives quite nice. It just seems to be a little more wobble over bumps than I'm used to. 

Philbo,

There is something known as "cowl shake" which may or may not affect your Reatta - not all convertibles have it.  Before you can diagnose your car, you need to freshen all your 30 year old suspension parts . . . struts, shocks, ball joints, etc.  Tires are also extremely important to the ride of your Reatta, and a fresh alignment as well.

The Reatta was designed with an extremely comfortable yet sporty ride - it handles like a true GT designed with a touring suspension.  Not everybody that buys a used Reatta plans to keep it long term, but the ones that do and invest in replacing tires and suspension parts are rewarded with a long lasting great riding vehicle!

Enjoy your Reatta Convertible!!  

Edited by Nittany
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

My 89 does the same think.  When I hit bumps at above 50mph it shimmies from side to side.  Seems to be coming from the rear in my case.