Checking the ECM, BCM, and CRT Codes

Studebaker

Update on checking the ECM, BCM, and CRT Codes:

I used this sites "How To Access the ECM, BCM, and CRT Codes", and this is what I found:

I turned the Ignition Key "on", and went to the Climate Control at the CRT screen, and then pushed "Off" and "Warm" at the same time.  The Service Engine Soon Light came on, but I was confused at what came up next. 

A couple codes came and went pretty fast  (I saw codes "E044" Heater and "E552, No CRT Codes" come up), and then it asked me "ECM?"  I hit "Yes" and went to "ECM Data".  Under this category, I got a ton of data which I dont think I need at this time, such as:

.40  ED01  TPS

864  ED99  Prom ID

2  ED98  Ign Cycles

140 ED23  MAT

150  ED22  IAC

.0 ED21  Air Flow

I found this data "too deep" for me at this time, so I just hit "End" .  The same complex data showed up under BCM and IPC, but I dont think any were actual "error codes".

I could never come up to the option to "reset" the ECM, BCM, or IPC, so they have not been reset.  (Is any of this data useful, or is it ok to figure out how to "reset" everything?)  Also, if I do reset everything, with this cause the engine to run rough (and at higher RPMs) for a period of time until it "re-learns" and creates the correct idle rpm, etc.?

Any advice on this?

Thanks.

I started this topic for you to keep from complicating your post about ABS codes and brakes.

1 hour ago, Studebaker said:

I could never come up to the option to "reset" the ECM, BCM, or IPC, so they have not been reset.  (Is any of this data useful, or is it ok to figure out how to "reset" everything?)  Also, if I do reset everything, with this cause the engine to run rough (and at higher RPMs) for a period of time until it "re-learns" and creates the correct idle rpm, etc.?

First off, you can't hurt anything by resetting the codes.  Sometimes after you do a reset it takes the ECM a little while to "learn" new data from your engine. During the learn process the engine might run a little rough for a few miles but it will quickly get back to normal.

To reset the codes go into diagnostics again and go through the procedure you whet through before. When it asks ECM?, select YES. Then when it asks ECM Data select NO and keep selecting NO until is asks if you want to Reset the Codes and select YES. ECM codes will be cleared. 

Right now don't worry about the ECM Data section and all that. Concentrate on learning how to read codes first.  I would clear the codes and drive around some. Then check the codes again and see what shows up.

I know you have a lot on your plate right now with all you have going on as a new owner but when you get the chance you should take the time to learn all you can about the Onboard Diagnostics Booklet.  It is your best friend when you are trying to troubleshoot your Reatta.

Ronnie......Thats a Big 10-4.  Glad you split this ECM/BCM/CRT Code stuff from my ABS issues.  I will finish up with the ABS thread (hopefully with the system back to normal again), and then come back to this ECM/BCM/CRT thread.

I will review the Onboard Diagnostics Booklet as I have extra time (I will check the huge shop manual and see if that info. is also there).

• Like 1