How to Check CRT Codes to solve ABS Light & Electrical Warnings

Studebaker

1 hour ago, Studebaker said:

If the ABS is in good order, would we expect the code light not to flash?  If so, any ideas as to why it remains on?

Have you driven it to see if the light goes off after you go over 15 MPH?  If the yellow light remains on there should be a code.

Ronnie, yep, I took her for a test drive a couple days ago and posted this:

"Took her out for a test drive to see if the ABS warning light would go out after driving over 18mph.  At first the ABS light was off, then it came on only when I had my foot on the brake pedal, and would go out with foot off pedal.  After driving a few minutes, the ABS light came on and stayed on.  So, do I now need to try to "reset" the computer to make the light stay off? "

So, now there is no code signals flashing during the jumper wire test, so Im wondering what could be going on (since the yellow ABS light stays on).

I don't know what could be causing that. You could check the ABS fuse and relay to make sure they are good. I think the light stays on if the fuse is bad.

88-89_relays_firewall.jpg

Ronnie.....Great tip!  I will check the fuse (ABS Main Relay Fuse). 

• Like 1

Ronnie........I checked the ABS Fuse (30 Amp), and it was fine.  I pulled it out and tested it, and also cleaned the tips well before putting it back.  Fuse location as in your diagram.....back on fire wall, above the two relays:

STA76448.thumb.JPG.44473ad9bc26d0977b313c552823f157.JPG

STA76452.thumb.JPG.0a266fe73096bb9ea354bb2e79bb59fc.JPG

Fuse plug pulled out:

STA76456.thumb.JPG.9d11b66d2467b9021098c0c6a4ae3f27.JPG

I put the fuse back in, and once again turned on the key.  Yellow ABS light comes on, and I insert the jumper wire to the A and H pins to try to get the ABS Light to flash and give the codes........but the ABS Light remains on and does not flash.  I also tried inserting the jumper wire BEFORE turning the key on, and it had no affect......ABS Light just stays on.  Then I pulled the jumper wire and re-inserted......ABS Light just stays on and does not flash.

I did see a Green wire near the ABS system that is not hooked up.  Do you have any idea as to what that green wire might be for?

STA76468.thumb.JPG.9da560920a955ed74b2a2a6d313ab5f2.JPG

STA76471.thumb.JPG.a19bae4f48e6c131e6c9cac0db313cce.JPG

Any other suggestions as to how to "figger-out" why the ABS light stays on?

I also have an "electrical issue" that comes up on the CRT screen, and am thinking that "maybe" this could be related to the ABS light staying on?  Maybe I need to skip the ABS Light issue, and start on that electrical issue (under another thread).

The wire with the green connector is the fuel pump prime wire.  It's normal for it to be unplugged and just hanging there.  I don't know what is causing the yellow light to stay on.  I think it would be a good idea to check computer codes and figure out what is causing the electrical warning first.

Ronnie.......Oakkie Doakkie, we both have the same thought......to work on the computer codes to determine what the electrical warning is all about.  I will do that next.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick Update:   On the last test drive, the ABS Light stayed off.......so, maybe it just took awhile for the Reatta to scratch its head and consider all the work I did on the brakes, and it decided I have done enough.  Now, time to move on to the Electrical issue (on a new thread).

Thanks for all the help from everyone on the ABS issues.

• Like 1