COIL OVERS.

jon L

Ronnie, Thanks for the input. I am open to all ideas.

The area that the bracket rest on, that you have marked with the red arrow will carry all of the extra weight.

As for the mounting holes, the front one handles all of the force of the sway bar and I don't see a problem with that.

The twisting force that you mentioned is already controlled by the (key slot on the back bottom side of the  shock.

The only thing I am concerned with is where you have the yellow line, possibly bending down, but then again the bracket

rests the the cutoff shock.  The only force I am concerned with is bending up of the two ears.

What do you think?

The area where I drew the yellow line is what looks to me like the weakest point in the setup you intend to use to mount the shocks.  Whether or not it is going to be a problem is hard to predict.  The only way to know for sure will be through trial and error.  It seems like you have a pretty good vision of what you want to do and a plan for how you are going to do it.  Keep us posted as you move along with the project.  I hope it works out well for you. 

You do realize that the bracket rests on the cutoff shock?

So, downward pressure is not a problem.

4 minutes ago, jon L said:

You do realize that the bracket rests on the cutoff shock?

So, downward pressure is not a problem.

Yeah, I was just agreeing with you that the ears might be a little weak and bend where the yellow line is.

I am concerned about the up forces on the ears.

I can't seem to get by that. Perhaps I should make the brackets in steel and weld them to the shock.

49 minutes ago, jon L said:

I am concerned about the up forces on the ears.

I can't seem to get by that. Perhaps I should make the brackets in steel and weld them to the shock.

Do you think there will be any room on the lower part of the new shock, above the mounting eye, and below the lower coil spring mount? A sleeve that fits over the shock body would stabilize the lower joint we are concerned with. Essentially it would be an extension of the tubular portion of the original strut, a sort of pocket for it to sit in. 

• 3 weeks later...

OK, One more question. What part of the rear spring flexes?  The outer edges, or the center section 0r both?

I ask because the spring is held down on both ends not in the middle as a regular spring is.