Reatta seats were really built well

Ronnie

Every time I put leather dressing on my seats I'm amazed at their condition after 31 years. I looked them over good yesterday and there isn't even a broken thread in the stitching or any breaks in the leather.  They do have some creases in the leather, they've always had that since I've owned the car. The creases are darker than I would like but for their age not too bad.  There is some dark places on the leather of the seat back where I slide in and out that I would like to cover up but considering their age and 130k on the car it's expected.  I hope to figure out a way to dye or color that area this winter.

I too am impressed with the seats in my car and how they have aged. The 'verts seats are original and are in great shape. The ones in the Red are not original to that car either as I found near perfect 16 ways in a salvage yard. But compared to some other cars I've seen [different makes/models] this is another example of the quality Buick built into the Reatta.

Another tip for others... If you can get a Reatta head rest anywhere in your color, grab it as the front of the head rest is made from leather and is a perfect match in size and color for the seat bolster that does wear out on our car. And the seat back of the Reatta [standard or 16 way] is vinyl and can be used for the console lid, and is also a perfect match.

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding the leather seats, I need to clean and treat all the leather in the 89 Reatta which I just bought.  For my prior vehicles, I used a leather soap to clean, then gave it a couple thick coats of neatsfoot oil and mink oil.  What do you use on the seats (especially on neglected seats, which probably rarely ever got a good oil treatment to them).....anything else you found to be better. 

If you ask ten people what they think is the best product for leather seats you would probably get 10 different answers.  Below is a post I made a couple of years ago about what I use on my seats.  I'm still using the same product.  Some of the high dollar products might be a lot better but I don't spend top dollar on my Reatta.

On 12/2/2017 at 9:41 AM, Ronnie said:

My seats didn't look bad for a weekend driver when I got the car but I always thought they could look better. Over the years I've tried a lot of different products, even some expensive ones, to help make my leather seats look better but none of them made much difference.

A few months back I ran into a friend that restores antique cars for a living. He learned to do it from his father who learned it from his father. They have done cars for some really famous people. I asked him if he knew of anything that might help remove some of the dark creases in my seats and improve the looks of the leather. He said I should try some Bickmore 4 leather conditioner.  I got it at Amazon. I don't know if you will find it locally or not.

It is easy to apply.  I squeeze some onto my hand and rub it into the leather, let it sit for about 5 minutes and then wipe off the excess with a microfiber towel.  After using it about once a week for most of the summer I can highly recommend the Bickmore 4. It has reduced the dark creases that were in my leather a lot and it gives the leather a shine that lasts. I was never able to get a good shine with other leather products. My seats were really dull looking and this stuff really helped. It has really made a difference in the way my seats look.  You should give it a try.

Although the Bickmore 4 is supposed to be a cleaner as well as a conditioner, I think the Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner that I previously used on my seats did a better job of cleaning the leather. You just spray it on, let it sit a couple of minutes and then wipe it off with a clean cloth. Repeating several times will get the leather really clean. It is best if you use it on a warm day.  I didn't know how dirty mine leather was until I cleaned it with this product.

Yep........I guess you are right......lots of methods/products available for leather.  I like to work on the leather during the warmer/hotter summer months as the oils seem to absorb better in the heat.....so, that can wait until next spring/summer.

• Like 1