ECM issues

epssax

My 1990 Reatta roadster, made March 1990, hasn’t  run since June.  Replaced temp sensor, coil pack,  ICM, crank angle sensor.  I have a GM master tech working on it in his spare time.  After replacing the parts, he read the OBD I scanner.  He said not getting an injector signal.  He pulled out the ECM behind the glove box.  That box had two EPROMs in it.  The computer I bought had one long eprom in it.  Wrong part.  Another friend said the ECM is in the passenger kick panel. Several questions:  1.  Where is the ECM?  2.  Any source for a correct ECM?  3.  If the mechanic pulled the wrong computer how come it has the same connectors as the rebuilt computer I bought from Oreillys?

Thanks in advance to all you guys who know these cars!  

C2E30758-06CE-4132-983D-5DA5D21A23B4.jpeg

F37AE2D6-12B2-47A7-AC63-FD729D74A076.jpeg

1B13A692-809E-4435-9D54-110C946615F7.jpeg

Edited by epssax

That is not the ECM. Not at home right now but that is likely the BCM. ECM stands up vertically forward of the glovebox with three large multipin connectors on the bottom. One long eeprom is correct, generally blue in color. Kind of a pain to remove.

Welcome to the forum epssax!

The photo you posted (below) has the correct part number for the Body Control Module (BCM). Do you know what codes the mechanic found when he used the scanner? If so please post them here.

I will check my phone again but I don't remember seeing that middle photo which is the ECM with the Eeprom missing or I would have mentioned it?. I see it on my laptop now so maybe a slow connection didn't load everything?

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Welcome to the forum epssax!

The photo you posted (below) has the correct part number for the Body Control Module (BCM). Do you know what codes the mechanic found when he used the scanner? If so please post them here.

40 minutes ago, epssax said:

No .  He determined it was a code indicating no pulse for the fuel injectors!  

I thought I knew the codes pretty well but I don't know of a code that would tell you that.  Could you find out what the code is he is referring to? It would help us help you. Below is a list of the ECM odes if you aren't familiar with them.

ecm_codes.jpg

I have extra "Silver boxes" pulled from working Reattas. I have two each of the #01228786 as shown in the picture.

Email me if interested at;

lemke1044@aol.com

53 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I thought I knew the codes pretty well but I don't know of a code that would tell you that.  Could you find out what the code is he is referring to? It would help us help you. Below is a list of the ECM odes if you aren't familiar with them.

ecm_codes.jpg

I don't know of a code for that either but perhaps he was reading live data and checked the injector pulse width, or, if he has the genuine GM Tech (something?) scanner it likely has more data available. Interested to see what the answer is.

It looks like he already has a replacement ECM judging by the label in the photo. It should be a 1228253 ECM module.

9 hours ago, 2seater said:

I don't know of a code for that either but perhaps he was reading live data and checked the injector pulse width, or, if he has the genuine GM Tech (something?) scanner it likely has more data available. Interested to see what the answer is.

Perhaps he misspoke.   Or I mis listened!  At any rate he pulled the wrong silver box.  Now he’ll have to come back and put that back and then try to find the ECM.  I’m assuming  he’ll just put the eprom in the new computer.  Thanks!  

2 hours ago, epssax said:

Perhaps he misspoke.   Or I mis listened!  At any rate he pulled the wrong silver box.  Now he’ll have to come back and put that back and then try to find the ECM.  I’m assuming  he’ll just put the eprom in the new computer.  Thanks!  

There is a lot I don't know, so anything is possible? Thinking about it earlier and all that is needed is a noid light in the injector plug, so maybe just a low tech indicator? He is in the right area, sort of.  If memory serves, the BCM is mounted horizontally and the ECM is vertical and to the right of the BCM. Daves89 does a lot of parts removal and maybe will define better.

3 hours ago, epssax said:

Now he’ll have to come back and put that back and then try to find the ECM.

The glovebox has been removed in the photo below. The silver box with all the wires going to it is the BCM.  I believe the ECM is located just out of view in the bottom left of the photo.  Removing the kick panel below the glove box will probably give you access to it.  Dave can verify if I'm right.

Glovebox (6).jpg

You guys are both right. The BCM is right behind the glove and is horizontal. The ECM is down low and is vertical. It can be accessed by removing the kick panel. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

The glovebox has been removed in the photo below. The silver box with all the wires going to it is the BCM.  I believe the ECM is located just out of view in the bottom left of the photo.  Removing the kick panel below the glove box will probably give you access to it.  Dave can verify if I'm right.

Glovebox (6).jpg

Is the ECM in the bottom left of this photo?  I thought it was in the kick panel near the right fender?  Now I am confused.

It is not in the kick panel if you are referring to the covering over the area forward of the passengers door frame. The panel we are referring to is horizontal below the glovebox area, above where your feet and lower legs are while riding. The colored vacuum tubing from the HVAC controller runs almost directly below the ECM, which is a metal silver box, and the three plugs are on the bottom. The HVAC controller module is on the far right side, also standing vertically but is black plastic. I can't take a photo as my ECM is laying on the floor for access to the EEPROM. 

Edited by 2seater
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, epssax said:

I thought it was in the kick panel near the right fender?  Now I am confused.

There is a large panel under the dash below the glove box that can be removed to expose components underneath the dash.  ECM will be near the center console.  Not on the fender side.   Kick panel might be the wrong term but it's often called that by Reatta owners.

You might find this helpful. I believe the instructions would be the same for a '90 model. ECM Removal Instructions - '88 & '89 Models

Good ending.  Mechanic came today. Arrived at 11:30 and had it running by 1:00 pm.  Had to put console back together, install body computer, remove the ECM, change out the eprom, reinstall it and put all the interior pieces back in.  Then readjusted the idle to spec.  He can “beat the clock”.  About to take the roadster out for 20 mile spin and a trip to Culver’s.  

Tomorrow I start cleaning her up and some detailing..

Gentlemen, the ECM is on the right side of the car under the heater control. 

I believe you gentlemen have 88 &89. He is talking about a 90.