What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

I had a different experience today. I was dropping a DVD off at the library when a guy called out to me "Is that a Buick? What is it?" So explained that it was a Reatta and he said that he hadn't heard of them. He also said he tried out a Fiero but said it was too small and was leaning towards a Corvette, but now would take a look at a Reatta. He asked about pricing and I said $6,000.00 or less would get him a nice car. 

So I guess we will see.

• Like 3

Yesterday was project day. My wife and I went over to my buddy Bob's house where my wife did a project with Bob's wife and Bob and I did headlight motors. I had 3 right and 2 left headlight motors to rebuild. 4 of the 5 had bad rollers and one had a cracked main gear. So I ended up with 2 each right and left rebuilt motors. All the Reattas I currently am driving seem to have good motors so hopefully I am good for a long time.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Coming back from appointments and watched the odometer roll over to 194,000. That is 10,000 miles since I bought the Black [for $1000.00] and as they are mostly business miles [use it for my sales job and get 50 cents a mile tax allowance] that means the car is close to free. All that is left is another 5000 miles to pay for the rack and pinion and tires that had to be done since I bought it. 

Then it will be free...

Bought my baby some new heels ?

Cooper Cobras?

Salutations from San Diego!

20210126_115550.jpg

Edited by Bertimus
  • Like 6

Great looking car man. I like the camera angle you had when you took the photo. It really highlights the wheels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Coming back from appointments and watched the odometer roll over to 194,000. That is 10,000 miles since I bought the Black [for $1000.00] and as they are mostly business miles [use it for my sales job and get 50 cents a mile tax allowance] that means the car is close to free. All that is left is another 5000 miles to pay for the rack and pinion and tires that had to be done since I bought it. 

Then it will be free...

Soon you will be getting paid to drive your Reatta.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on a number of things on my reatta. I started with a thermostat replacement but ended with deciding to take the plunge and replace the intake manifold gaskets. I had planned to do that because it has been leaking oil there, which means a coolant leak is probably not far behind. Last night I got the manifold buttoned back on and tonight before moving on to the rest of the reassembly I decided to attempt the JB weld fix for the cam sensor magnet.  When I took the sensor off there was indeed no magnet and only plastic remnants.  It really wasn't that difficult. I have yet to experience my reatta with functioning sequential injection so I'm kind of pumped. Thanks to Padgett for the how-to and here are pictures of my repair.

20210204_215747.jpg

20210204_223411.jpg

20210204_234712.jpg

• Like 3

-12 right now with a wind chill of minus 22. Sunday night is to be even colder. About the same temps for the rest of the week. Has always started to date. Hope that continues!

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

-12 right now with a wind chill of minus 22. Sunday night is to be even colder. About the same temps for the rest of the week. Has always started to date. Hope that continues!

But it’s a dry cold, oh wait, that’s normal. Aren’t you headed to the far south? Good luck and safe travels. ?

I leave next Sunday. Tomorrow I have an appointment in Lakewood. Thursday in Manitowoc, Sheboygan, and West Bend. Every day with a high of less then 10 degrees. It will warm up to about 15 degrees next weekend and then another run of sub zero weather.

But you are right it will be a "dry" cold and won't seem so bad... 

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

Tomorrow I have an appointment in Lakewood. Thursday in Manitowoc, Sheboygan, and West Bend. Every day with a high of less then 10 degrees.

Wow. You should be looking forward to sunny Texas.  We've been lucky so far this year. Only dipped below freezing a few times. It's 43 here right now. We don't have the dry cold like you guys do so it still feels pretty cold with the wind blowing off the lake at 43 degrees. I've not worn a long sleeve shirt in years and usually only need a light jacket most days.

5 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Has always started to date. Hope that continues!

Have you ever tried one of those dip stick heaters or a block heater that goes in the heater hose? I bought a Fiat one time that had been up north and it had one in the heater hose that you plugged into the wall outlet. I never used it even though the car was sitting outside so I don't know if it helped or not.

I have always found that a well tuned car with a strong battery will get you started. The battery we should be using in out car is more then enough power to start. 

• Like 1

Inch by inch on my intake manifold/tuneup project.  Tonight was installing new spark plug wires.  I can't wait to get her running again.

20210209_205942.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 10:22 PM, Ronnie said:

We had nice weather today so I gave my Reatta it's final bath of the year. I cleaned the leather and then threw the cover over it. All the  pretty leaves have now fell from the trees so I doubt I will be doing much more driving until spring. Now that I have the battery disconnect switch installed I'm hoping the battery will be good for a couple of months without charging. I will probably check it in a month and see how the battery is holding up and put more leather dressing on the seats.

My Reatta has been sitting in the garage under the cover since I washed it on Dec. 11.  I removed the cover today thinking maybe I needed to charge the battery after it sitting for two months. Nope. Before starting the car I checked the battery and it read 12.4 volts. After closing the knife switch I turned the key on and off three times to let the fuel pump run and prime the fuel system. When I turned the key to the start position the engine fired right up like it had been started yesterday. The battery disconnect switch is a good investment for Reattas that are going to be sitting for long periods of time without being started.

• Like 3

On 2/11/2021 at 6:54 PM, Ronnie said:

My Reatta has been sitting in the garage under the cover since I washed it on Dec. 11.  I removed the cover today thinking maybe I needed to charge the battery after it sitting for two months. Nope. Before starting the car I checked the battery and it read 12.4 volts. After closing the knife switch I turned the key on and off three times to let the fuel pump run and prime the fuel system. When I turned the key to the start position the engine fired right up like it had been started yesterday. The battery disconnect switch is a good investment for Reattas that are going to be sitting for long periods of time without being started.

Do you mind sharing what switch you installed.  I drive my reatta often. But I have an old 95 suburban that I only drive on occasion. Would be great for that.

39 minutes ago, Philbo said:

Do you mind sharing what switch you installed.  I drive my reatta often. But I have an old 95 suburban that I only drive on occasion. Would be great for that.

It was this one on Amazon.

SAM_4223.JPG

• Thanks 1

Well today is the day I get my reatta running again. Just have to finish cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor, assemble, oil change, add coolant and bleed of air, and last but not least put in new air filter and will be back in action. Wish me luck and keep fingers crossed there are no surprises when I go to start her up.

Got it all finished up! Officially without a check engine light since I've owned it. Started with putting a new thermostat in and ended up doing the intake manifold gaskets, fixing the CPS magnet, thorough throttle body cleaning. New air filter, and new spark plugs and wires. She's running better than ever!

• Like 2