What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

NE expecting our first Nor'easter Wednesday evening (12/19/20) thru Thursday mid-day...9" to 12" locally just south of Boston.  Snow thrower ready, Reatta snug in igloo, Eldorado in garage, Caddy ATS always outside but will get a car cover.

26 minutes ago, ship said:

Thursday mid-day...9" to 12" locally just south of Boston.  Snow thrower ready,

I've only seen a handful of snows like that in my lifetime. When it happens everything gets extremely quiet. Usually because the power is off and no vehicles are moving. Last time we had a snow like that was during what we call the blizzard of '93. Hope you are better prepared to handle it than we are. About everything shuts down.

You have to have the equipment. Around here we would be back moving less then 8-10 hours after the snow stops.

This will be the first year I don't have to do the widow Schneider's driveway. Her daughter didn't like the idea of me storing a car in her garage for free snow blowing. So out goes the car and stop goes the snow blowing. So it will be a change, but a good one as the widow Schneider wanted the driveway done by 8:00 am.

10 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

You have to have the equipment. Around here we would be back moving less then 8-10 hours after the snow stops.

Same here in MA.  Being retired does have its advantages, though...don't have to get up early to get the driveway done...no place to go and not in a hurry to get there.

Snow forecast is 12” - 18” ?  I did an oil change on the snowblower this morning and I’m planning on 2 passes on the driveway for this storm.  One time this evening, the second time tomorrow after the snow is done falling. 
The Reatta is enjoying a well deserved nap after the 800 mile road trip to the Outer Banks NC in November!

Edited by Nittany
Added forecast

On 12/13/2020 at 10:36 AM, Ronnie said:

You are lucky that he has a lift. When I was hanging sheet rock each one of us would make a bench to stand on just the right height so our heads would push the sheet rock against the rafters and hold it there while we nailed it. Never saw anyone use a lift back then. Never saw a screw gun back then either. None of the sheet rock hangers I worked with finished sheet rock. A different crew came in to do that. There is an art to finishing sheet rock and making it look good.

What we would do back in the day is take two 2x4's [3' and 8'] and make a tee out of them for each end of the drywall. Then we would hold the drywall up close to the rafter and the other guy would slide the tee into place to hold it up. That worked pretty good.

On 12/13/2020 at 8:55 AM, DAVES89 said:

We will have to remember how a crank sensor can affect idle, and running, acceleration if it becomes worn or is out of adjustment.

One other thing, all my back stock Delco ignition modules do not have the adapter plate that is needed on our Magnavox coil/ignition module mounting plate. I had all my cars converted to Delco, but then I got this 1988 and never thought about that plate for Delco units. 

So now back over to Gibson's for that part.   

Just got back from Gibson's. I found the adapter plate in a 1993 Riviera. Counter guy charged me $3.00 which is fair. Now I just have to clean it up and put it in the "break down" box that I keep in the trunk.

Today was my 64th birthday so we celebrated by going out for supper, then home for cake and a Reatta "gift night". Presents included; 3 each battery disconnect switch for each car, Garmin [for the 'vert in Texas], Blue Coral Car Wash, Tire Wet, and Bleach White, Car Wash mitts. 

Ready for spring...

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1

Thanks Ronnie. BTW did an edit on the switches. They are for the batteries.

• Like 1

I was thinking a brake disconnect switch sounded like a bad idea but I figured it's your birthday, and if you wanted a brake disconnect switch for your Reatta you should have it.  ?

Found two NOS Harmonic Balancers on the internet at $50.00 delivered. If anyone needs one let me know as I just bought them.

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Found two NOS Harmonic Balancers on the internet at $50.00 delivered. If anyone needs one let me know as I just bought them.

I should probably have a spare, so I am in to purchase one?

I'll let you know when they arrive. There is another one in Oklahoma that I can pick up on my way to Texas so I have one there. 

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Any concerns that rubber that old might be starting to dry rot?

I suspect it may depend on how they were stored, but my 30yr old original still looks good on mine?

Yeah, probably going to be OK. Sunlight and heat speed up the process of the rubber deteriorating and they shouldn't be exposed to that.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah, probably going to be OK. Sunlight and heat speed up the process of the rubber deteriorating and they shouldn't be exposed to that.

If it is the Harmonic Balancer we are talking about they are all NOS sitting on the shelf inside, so I think they would be all right.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1

I hope everyone in the north east made it through the big snow storm without problems.  I saw where a lot of areas had 16" of snow. That is a lot of snow.