What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

Preserve it... or drive it?

Yesterday, as usual, my near perfect 1988 Red Reatta just sat at home.  With 31,800 miles, I can't decide if I should preserve it, or drive it.   Aside from one tiny rock chip on the hood and a small dimple in left headlight door, the car is flawless.  I've tinted the windows, otherwise, it's unmolested.  Even if I drive it on perfect days and stay away from traffic on the interstate, I'm afraid of rock chips.  I can wrap the front of the car with an invisible bra, but think it might damage the paint.  I bought it to "possess" it and maybe take it to a few car shows.  Now, with Covid 19, there are no car shows in my area.  I'm 80 and a driving enthusiast, so I have another car that I can exercise on the back roads.  The Reatta has just been a boulevard cruiser when I did drive it.  In the one year of ownership, I've driven about 400 miles.  It kills me to not drive it, yet not show it.  At my age, I don't care about losing any investment value.  Should I sell it and buy a less perfect driver, or drive it and stop worrying about a rock chip or two.

I also sweat about taking it through a car wash.  It's not easy for me to hand wash it.  With the original paint in new condition, if I go through a car wash 3-4 times a year, should I even think about damaging the paint?

1 hour ago, RonH said:

At my age, I don't care about losing any investment value.  Should I sell it and buy a less perfect driver, or drive it and stop worrying about a rock chip or two.

I also sweat about taking it through a car wash.  It's not easy for me to hand wash it.  With the original paint in new condition, if I go through a car wash 3-4 times a year, should I even think about damaging the paint?

With a car as nice as yours it would be hard to say if you should sell it without knowing how much you have in it, and knowing how much you could get out of it.  If you enjoy just taking it to car shows and having it in the garage I think you should hang on to it.  This Covid thing should  be under control by next Summer surely.

If you have read many of my posts here on the forum you will know that I drive my Reatta on day trips through the beautiful mountains of East TN as often as I can, and I love taking photos of my Reatta on the trips. I don't give much thought to putting miles my Reatta.  My Reatta will never be a car worthy of being a show car so I'm going to drive my money out of it.  If I had a low mileage Reatta like yours I might see it differently but I think a good compromise would be driving it as much as you want while keeping it in the best condition you can.  I agree with the Buick commercials of the late 1980s that said, "The great American road belongs to Buick!

I wash my Reatta by hand. I think that is best but I don't think the "touchless" car washes that just spray water would be to hard on the paint. I would never run any car though a car wash that has brushes spinning around. You never know whether or not one of those brushes has the last cars antenna wound up in it.

• Like 1

If you think you should drive it, then drive it. You can always get the paint done again. I'm 63 [64 in December] and have a second cancer [colon the first time 11 years ago and prostate this time] and don't see anyone in my family wanting any of my the Reattas and the resale is not that good, so for me I am driving the wheels off.

Sort of a mixed message there. Not concerned about retained value but so driving it shouldn’t be an issue. At the same time it’s stated purpose is to satisfy a desire to have a show worthy Reatta. The two things are sort of at cross purposes. I am not a car show fan although I do enjoy looking over an eclectic group of vehicles for occasional diversion and driving my car is what gives me pleasure, so it is unfair of me to recommend a course of action. It sounds like this is collateral damage from Covid where you have an itch that can’t be scratched and I don’t know how to fix that.

It's in my driveway !  And it looks even better than I imagined !   Hearing this discussion on low mileage cars makes me feel a little guilty, because I bought this one w plans to make it a Semi-daily-driver (3+ commuting days plus weekend.  I'm 65 as of last week, so I'm a little older than the 45+ yo target demographic when it first came out (so the articles lead me to believe), but I think this can be the perfect blend of beauty and reliability.  The beauty is definitely there !  So now to begin the driving.

I contacted the previous owner, who only had it a few weeks before consigning it to the auction.  He said there was a "complete fluid change" before he bought it, and a new battery.  Oil and tran fluid are nice, will need to get antifreeze and brake fluid tested.

However,  I now need to acquire a full set of manuals!  Any advice ? 

Can I post a WTB here?  Hunt it down on ebay?

Is there anything that can be downloaded?

Thanks !!

Congrats on your new Reatta. Sounds like you got a nice one. I suggest you update your profile to show the model year in your signature and change your "My Reattas" setting that now shows None. Feel free to place a WTB ad here in the forums. Someone might have the service manual you need. You might want to check eBay too. They show up there from time to time.  Posts some pics of your car. We all like photos.

Nice Birthday present. 65 years old and a Reatta with 12,000 miles on it... Drive the wheels off and don't feel guilty. Car with that age and so few miles needs to be driven. Just think 10 years at 5,000 miles per year and it will still be a low mileage Reatta. 

Good for you!

On 9/6/2020 at 11:08 PM, Ronnie said:

Enjoyed the beautiful weather today at Bald River Falls with my daughter.  Put about 170 miles round trip on my Reatta driving through the Cherokee National Forest and on the Cherohala Skyway. One of my favorite places to drive.

ball river falls 9-5-30-3.jpg

ball river falls 9-5-30-1.jpg

ball river falls 9-5-30-2.jpg

Below is a photo my daughter took from the Cherohala Skyway on Sunday. Views like this are what keeps me going back several times a year.

smoky mnt.jpg

Ronnie

Envy your scenery and curving mountain roads !!  Beautiful pictures... I'd drive off the edge, being mesmerized by the beauty there... nothing like that here in Texas!

Good Lord willing, I can take a run that direction in a few months when I retire !!

Keep up with the pictures, It keeps "the dream" alive for the rest of us !

5 minutes ago, pbtexan said:

Keep up with the pictures, It keeps "the dream" alive for the rest of us !

I'm glad you like the photos. I like to post them but I'm always afraid they just bore people here on the forum.

57 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'm glad you like the photos. I like to post them but I'm always afraid they just bore people here on the forum.

Boring is as Boring does? Couldn't help myself.

• Haha 1

Yesterday I had an ignition problem with the Red. The key turned hard and then the "rack" inside broke away and the key would just spin in the lock or I could even remove the key and the car would continue to run. I called Kendall [my mechanic friend] and Ronnie and both confirmed it was the rack. So I get in the 'vert and head out to Gibson's for a steering column out od an '89 that is out there. Unfortunately it doesn't have a key so I still got it [and back half of a Reatta exhaust [tail pipes, muffler, and about 3' in front of muffler] together for $50.00.  The exhaust is in storage and the steering column just bought plus the one from the Red are now at Kendalls who will try to make one working column out of the two.

I hope to have the car roadworthy by Sunday...

If the key works as it should you are fine. I wouldn't mess with it unless it was broke.

Kendall has it fixed already. He said two things made it okay to do.

One] He has the tools.

Two] I brought the two columns over to him and he was able to do it on his work bench.

Notice I said "okay" which in my experience with Kendall means it was a hard job but tolerable. He did say if I got a rack for my inventory he would do it again [ if the column was removed]. He also said this is not a job you can do by the side of the road. Or without the specialty tools.

It must be a pretty hard job with the column in the car. I remember Jim Finn say one time that he would rather replace the column that try to fix it. And as you said, I think having the proper tools is key to replacing the rack. Luckily I've never had to find out how hard it is.

Jim is like me... a junker. It is easier to swap one out then rebuild one. However the columns are Reatta only so rebuilding is the future. I have removed columns but until tomorrow never installed one. I can remove one in about 15 minutes so I figure about an hour to be sure I have it done correctly.

i am going to look for an extra rack to have it available. I also have the cruise control lead and stalk so that helps. Everything else [ the turn signal module and ignition switch]  seem readily available so I should be good.

I wonder if Kendall replaced the rack or just replaced the part where the key goes in the column you picked up at Gibson's?

He showed me the rack when I got there. It was broke in two parts. He salvaged what was good from the junk yard rack and had it in a bag for me to keep. He said there was no way the column would work as there was too much wrong with it. The directional module had a broken wire and of course there was no key. I did get the directional stalk and lead wire. That looked to be in great shape.

• Thanks 2