What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

On 2/7/2021 at 10:41 AM, Ronnie said:

Wow. You should be looking forward to sunny Texas.  We've been lucky so far this year. Only dipped below freezing a few times. It's 43 here right now. We don't have the dry cold like you guys do so it still feels pretty cold with the wind blowing off the lake at 43 degrees. I've not worn a long sleeve shirt in years and usually only need a light jacket most days.

I think getting to Texas is like jumping from the frying pan and into the fire. Left Wisconsin in a "minor" snow storm [1"-2"] and get to Dallas same day. Woke up te next morning at 4:30 to snow falling and headed south thinking it had to get better. Got to Waco and entered into a ice storm that lasted until San Antonio. After that the roads cleared up and I made pretty good time. However the night I arrived we lost power and it was not restored until about 24 hors ago. We had no electricity, I shut off the water and drained the lines as we had no heat, but we did have heat from our gas stove. 

Before turning off the water I did fill a cooler with water for flushing the toilet and we had laid in a supply of bottled water.

Now we find out that there is a fuel shortage. Waited in line about 15 minutes and filled up. Hope the fuel situation clears up. Have only hit 50 degrees once or twice since we have gotten hear. Temps mostly low 30s to mid 40s.

• Sad 2

OMG, I forgot you were headed into a disaster area. You are located south of the snow and ice band, right? Be safe?

Dave...a least you know what to do to keep water pipes from freezing since you're a "northerner".   Looking at pics and seeing news broadcasts, I'm amazed at the number of frozen/burst pipes in TX homes/buildings.  Stay Safe. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

However the night I arrived we lost power and it was not restored until about 24 hors ago. We had no electricity, I shut off the water and drained the lines as we had no heat, but we did have heat from our gas stove. 

Glad to hear you made there safely and didn't get stranded on the interstate. Who would ever thought about cold weather effecting you down as far as Brownsville. I didn't expect power and water outages that far south. We've been lucky. Hardly a day below freezing and no snow. Thirty miles away on the mountains of the Cumberland Plateau in Crossville, TN they've had 3-4" of snow. Still it's nothing like the problems TX is experiencing. Stay safe!

If you guys remember I took the Enclave and the car did great except for one hiccup. If I used the cruise control the car would get "confused" and start giving me low power warnings and Stabil Trak warnings. So from Dallas south to Brownsville no cruise. It wasn't an issue as there was ice until I got south of San Antonio. But driving about 400 miles without druise was no fun.

It turned out that there is a sensor integrated into the throttle body that needs to be happy. If it doesn't read right it shuts thinks down. When I got to Brownsville I ordered a new throttle body through Advance [bought online with a 20% discount] picked it up and installed in less then an hour. Only one 6 pin connector and 4 bolts.

. Everything great since then.

• Like 2

Dave you were lucky to figure out what was wrong with the Enclave and fix it yourself. Sounds like it could have got expensive at a dealership. I'm in awe that you could drive all the way to Brownsville without an accident under those road conditions like we have been seeing on TV.

I suspect vast experience and a well trained right foot makes a difference? The vehicle being driven is a plus as well. Now how you defend against the other bumper cars is a mystery and miracle. Thumbs up for sure.

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Dave you were lucky to figure out what was wrong with the Enclave and fix it yourself. Sounds like it could have got expensive at a dealership. I'm in awe that you could drive all the way to Brownsville without an accident under those road conditions like we have been seeing on TV.

I called Kendall and he did a "WAG" and his diagnosis was confirmed by the reader at O'Reillys. They didn't have one in stock so I waited until I got to Brownsville and like I said then ordered one from Advance. 

As far as driving in the ice/sleet it really isn't much different then what we deal with in Wisconsin as 2seater can attest. It actually was easier because many people were not out in it and it was mostly knowing what lane to be in [thanks Garmin] keeping a safe distance between me and other cars and to not make any sudden maneuvers. 

The roads around Waco were manageable, [except for a semi that T boned the concrete divider in the slow lane blocking the shoulder and all 3 lanes. I took the fast lane shoulder and came within 18" of a Walmart semi but got past him. Then because that was the accident that stopped everyone else I was pretty much by myself].

Austin in regards to ice on the road was the worst, but traffic was real light. San Antonio was better in regards to ice and traffice was real light and I knew that by then I had to be close to the edge of the storm as I kept thinking "Just far south can the sleet be"? After about 20 miles south of San Antonio it was just cold. 

I won't lie, I did a lot of praying, both to be safe and that no one would do something stupid. It must have worked...

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

I called Kendall and he did a "WAG" and his diagnosis was confirmed by the reader at O'Reillys.

Good man to know. I might have to get his phone number. ? ?  If you had called me I would have been lost on that Enclave. That trip through TX sounds like the adventure of a lifetime. Or maybe the nightmare of a lifetime...

• Like 1

Finally, looks like the weather is going to change for the better. 67 degrees here right now. Not Spring yet but it could be a lot worse.

• Haha 1

We've been in the upper 70's ever since the cold front moved on here in Brownsville, Tx. But it has been windy.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on a really nice car. I wish the miles on mine were that low but I like to drive mine so much it wouldn't stay that way for long..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Congrats on a really nice car. I wish the miles on mine were that low but I like to drive mine so much it wouldn't stay that way for long..

Bought it from an 88 year old retired Buick dealer who kept it garaged and maintained, it was a pure luck that I found one in this condition

• Like 3

So I had this idea inspired by the name of this site, "Reatta Owner's Journal." The idea was to maintain a thread that is a journal of my Reatta Ownership, so kind of a mix of maintenance log and "what did you do to your reatta today" specifically for my reatta all in one place.  What do you all think? Good idea? Bad idea? Honest opinions welcome.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Philbo said:

So I had this idea inspired by the name of this site, "Reatta Owner's Journal." The idea was to maintain a thread that is a journal of my Reatta Ownership, so kind of a mix of maintenance log and "what did you do to your reatta today" specifically for my reatta all in one place.  What do you all think? Good idea? Bad idea? Honest opinions welcome.

I think that is a great idea and I encourage you to do it. I might even start one for my Reatta. I really like this thread that Dave started. It is the most popular thread on ROJ but things do get lost in it easily and are hard to find later. Information you save in your own thread like you suggested would be much easier for you to find when you need it.

It's funny that the name "Reatta Owners Journal" inspired you to create your own thread. This website was started in a similar way. I have always kept a journal on my home computer of unique maintenance and repair procedures for cars I own.  When I bought my Reatta and found the AACA site, I quickly realized that there are a lot things unique to the Reatta that all Reatta owners should know to properly maintain their cars. So instead of putting the information I normally saved on my computer I created this website in 2007 and started putting the information here organized in a way that other Reatta owners could easily find it. I knew that a lot of the information I put on here would be based on posts on the AACA site so asked them for, and was given, permission to copy posts from that website and save them here as How-to guides.

Later on I added this forum because I was getting so many emails each day from people with questions about their Reatta. It is much easier to answer questions here in the forum so now I just direct people who send me emails here to the forum to get answers to their questions instead of exchanging emails. This is probably more information than you were looking for but now you know the story of how ROJ got started.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Philbo said:

It is funny we miss the obvious things. I think it is a good idea that expands upon another good idea: this thread. I am assuming you are suggesting a personal version of this thread?

• Like 2