What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

I still have a few other expenses like the tires I got from Gibson's [$126.00] and the timing chain, cam sensor, etc [$70.00?] and still have to figure out the ABS amber light being on. But hopefully that won't be too much.

But you are right, I am all in so far for less then $2000.

• Like 1

For the last few days the Black has been throwing a e041c then e041h over and over. As soon as I would clear it out, back it would come. Also would throw an e027 and e028 both current, then history. Also developed a power steering fluid leak this morning, all on the way to meet 2seater for a hike at Gibson's. At any rate we met and got what we wanted and and then we took a look at the cam sensor [cause of the e041 code] and saw that the connector had a highly corroded pin. So off to my house for some contact cleaner and to call the repair shop about the fluid leak. We also by spraying the connection on the cam sensor fixed the code situation and it also cleared up the other two codes as well. Worked out pretty good.

2seater also had that conversion fitting to convert the early "hose" Teves to the later "tubing" Teves pump and motor.

Oh and the leak? Turns out to be a bad connection between the hose and the power steering cooling pipe. So that should be all good now as well.

• Like 1

Codes 27 and 28 are transmission codes. I get those sometimes. I think it's caused by gear indicator switches in the transmission sticking. Maybe they won't come back for you.

58 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Codes 27 and 28 are transmission codes. I get those sometimes. I think it's caused by gear indicator switches in the transmission sticking. Maybe they won't come back for you.

Yeah I used your "Diagnostics" on the top of the page to look them up. What was interesting to me is that every time the E041 would trip then so would the 27 and 28 codes. Then when I cleaned up the connection to stop the 41 code that also stopped the 27 and 28 codes. They have yet to reappear... 

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 2

Well the e041 code kept coming back as "current" then "history constantly repeating itself. So I went over to Kendall's for him to look at. He thought one of the pins in the plug was too loose and suggested I get another connector. So this afternoon I went to Gibson's for another and back to Kendall for the install. He peeled back the protective webbing and saw that the plug had been replaced already. He gave the wire a tug and said "The P.O. used shrink tubing but never soldered it". So we took a better connector, soldered it in and now I have no codes and this time I am sure it is good. 

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 4

All week and no E041 code so this time I think I am good. However this morning I started getting a lower engine rattle. At first I didn't think it could be the Harmonic Balancer, but it was. I had replaced the original with a used one out of the "parts bin" but it only lasted 7,000 miles. Put another used one on and hope this is a more permanent repair. 

Did the breaker bar through the frame trick hit the starter trick to break the bolt loose. That is the coolest thing.

One of these days you will have all your Reatta problems solved. It will probably be the day you sell your last Reatta. ?

The starter trick works to get the bolt loose. How do you tighten it? I used my torque wrench set at 150 and then put a breaker bar on the socket and pulled like hell to get as tight as I could. I found it really hard to hold the flywheel well enough to keep the engine from turning while I tightened the bolt. I hope I never have to do it again.

That is exactly what I did. Have to take the little plastic flap off in the wheel well to get at the bolt though [for tightening].

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

One of these days you will have all your Reatta problems solved. It will probably be the day you sell your last Reatta. ?

I hope so. But I believe I will have the Red right up to the day I die. I just love the car, and what ever it needs, it gets...

• Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 5:42 PM, DAVES89 said:

That is exactly what I did. Have to take the little plastic flap off in the wheel well to get at the bolt though [for tightening].

Today I left to go to Bob's to help him with a dry wall project. I barely left the driveway when I experienced rough idle with some bucking. Tried the quick fix which was a MAF sensor, but that wasn't it. Car throws no codes so I am going with a Coil Pack/Ignition Module. I will do that in the morning. By mistake I "butt called" kdirk and while I had him on the phone I asked his opinion and he concurred as did Bob.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

By mistake I "butt called" kdirk and while I had him on the phone I asked his opinion and he concurred as did Bob.

You must be really good at but dialing because I can't think of a better person to call to get an opinion on Reatta electrical problems. ?

We had nice weather today so I gave my Reatta it's final bath of the year. I cleaned the leather and then threw the cover over it. All the  pretty leaves have now fell from the trees so I doubt I will be doing much more driving until spring. Now that I have the battery disconnect switch installed I'm hoping the battery will be good for a couple of months without charging. I will probably check it in a month and see how the battery is holding up and put more leather dressing on the seats.

19 hours ago, Ronnie said:

You must be really good at but dialing because I can't think of a better person to call to get an opinion on Reatta electrical problems. ?

Well it turned out to be way different then I thought. I swapped in a different Magnavox ignition module/coil pack which didn't do any good. I swapped in one of two backstock Delco units and still no good. So I called up Kendall for ideas and he graciously came over. In the mean time I had once again removed the balancer so he could see what was up and help in the "do over". Turned out the crank shaft sensor was both loose and worn. So back to the parts bin for a new crank sensor and 20 minutes later the new sensor was in and the balancer back on.

I fired up the car without the belt and all was quiet and the car ran great. Shut her off installed the serpentine belt fired it up again and all was still good.

Changed the oil and filter, fired it up and off for an "errand run" to make sure I was good. 

Monday is back to Bob's for some dry wall work and Tuesday/Wednesday for appointments.

• Like 2

I was a sheet rock hanger for a while in my younger days. Been so long ago it seems like a dream now. what I remember is it being hard work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I had no problem hanging sheet rock in my earlier days while renovating my homes ...I really sucked big time at joint taping/mudding, though! 

He is not doing the taping/mudding as that will done by the plasterer. Surprising to me is that the plasterer doesn't hang drywall. He has a lift , but we are using 12' sheets. As you might remember he is a retired machinist so everything has to be done to close tolerances [like ceiling outlets, light cans] which slows us down doing trimming to fit. But it looks great and I am sure the plasterers will appreciate his extra effort.

16 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Well it turned out to be way different then I thought. I swapped in a different Magnavox ignition module/coil pack which didn't do any good. I swapped in one of two backstock Delco units and still no good. So I called up Kendall for ideas and he graciously came over. In the mean time I had once again removed the balancer so he could see what was up and help in the "do over". Turned out the crank shaft sensor was both loose and worn. So back to the parts bin for a new crank sensor and 20 minutes later the new sensor was in and the balancer back on.

I fired up the car without the belt and all was quiet and the car ran great. Shut her off installed the serpentine belt fired it up again and all was still good.

Changed the oil and filter, fired it up and off for an "errand run" to make sure I was good. 

Monday is back to Bob's for some dry wall work and Tuesday/Wednesday for appointments.

We will have to remember how a crank sensor can affect idle, and running, acceleration if it becomes worn or is out of adjustment.

One other thing, all my back stock Delco ignition modules do not have the adapter plate that is needed on our Magnavox coil/ignition module mounting plate. I had all my cars converted to Delco, but then I got this 1988 and never thought about that plate for Delco units. 

So now back over to Gibson's for that part.   

You are lucky that he has a lift. When I was hanging sheet rock each one of us would make a bench to stand on just the right height so our heads would push the sheet rock against the rafters and hold it there while we nailed it. Never saw anyone use a lift back then. Never saw a screw gun back then either. None of the sheet rock hangers I worked with finished sheet rock. A different crew came in to do that. There is an art to finishing sheet rock and making it look good.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

We will have to remember how a crank sensor can affect idle, and running, acceleration if it becomes worn or is out of adjustment.

Yeah we will. I had always thought the either they worked or they didn't. Good thing they don't just caused the engine to run bad too often because that could be really hard to troubleshoot. My experience has been that they just quit working.