What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

I still have one more cam sensor, so if this one doesn't stay off I can try another. Kendall did replace the cam magnet when he did the timing chain so I should be good there. Just another thing to watch.

Left to run some errands this morning and the car didn't trip any codes. Started and turned off the car 3 times and so far all is good. Also checked the codes through the CRT and no codes stored there either as current or history.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 3

The early style Teves units use a hose/banjo bolt type of pressure line from the pump where the newer and apparently more plentiful type use a steel line. The concern is what to do for a replacement pump on an early unit. The later model uses a 10mm diameter thread and the hose style is an 8mm for the bolt. I found a simple thread reducer in solid steel to reduce the thread diameter to mate properly with the bolt for the hose end. Below is a photo of the reducer partially installed as well as the actual part to the left. Dave and I each have one car with the early style and mine is in an ‘89, which is a puzzle?

5ADF96A7-EE2F-4631-9950-793367214983.thumb.jpeg.98378fa1462887b11bfc9f2310eb9694.jpeg

29 minutes ago, 2seater said:

Dave and I each have one car with the early style and mine is in an ‘89, which is a puzzle?

That is odd because my '88 has the steel line. I thought going from the hose to the steel line was a running change that took place somewhere in the middle of the '88 model production.

Mine is an earlier '88 which explains why I have the "first" style Teves unit. And the '89 that your grandson has gone through a number of owners so who knows? Maybe they just got an entire unit from the salvage yard and swapped it in. You could tell for sure by looking at the hub assembly. If it is a "true" 1988 the ABS sensor will be mounted in a removable bracket. If it is a 1989/90 hub assembly there was a running change where the hub assembly was remanufactured and the ABS lead mounts into it without a bracket.

Edited by DAVES89

Okay it has been just about a month that I have been driving the "new" Black and about 3000 miles as it is now my daily driver winter Reatta. It has proven to be a great car that starts and runs great. I had a bit of trouble with a code E044 and EO41 [history] but that seems to have cleared up. I do have a Amber brake light which means no ABS but if the weather doesn't stop with cold, rain and yes snow it might not get addressed till spring. I drove 30 plus years with no ABS and I guess I can go 3 more months [I leave for Texas in February and March]. I'll just be real careful...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

I drove 30 plus years with no ABS and I guess I can go 3 more months

I feel the same way about ABS. It is a good feature but it doesn't keep you from stopping safely... especially if you grew up driving without it like we did. My truck needs the ABS module replaced but it's almost impossible to remove without a lift. I just put a piece of black tape over the light and will deal with it later when my buddy gets his lift set up at his new house.

Wednesday, 10/20/2020, I drove my Reatta into the Shelter Logic storage igloo on my property.  Filled the gas tank after adding Seafoam stabilizer, attached a battery trickle charger, put the vinyl car cover on, and said "see you in April, 2021". 

And today I change oil and put the 'vert away until she leaves for her new home in Texas. I hate that drive in the 'vert, because unlike taking the Enclave [sleeping on a mattress in the back] there is no place to sleep [in a Reatta] so I will have to rent a hotel room on the way down. Probably just as well as it is pretty cold in February.

But on the good side that means we will have a Reatta to drive every day in our "winter" home!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I was given a real nice lined windbreaker from my neighbor who is in sales for a liquor distributer. Problem was I didn't like the logo that was sewn on it. So I went "shopping" on Ebay starting with Buick the Reatta patches. I found a couple of Buick patches but then came upon a Reatta car patch. It is offered in multiple colors [I ordered Red] and was dirt cheap at $5.00 each delivered. I bought two and asked him if he could make it bigger then the 2" x 4" that was standard. Excellent quality and quick turn around. Take a look you might be impressed. Ebay then "Reatta Patch".

Nice looking patch. At $5 it's a great deal. I noticed the round Reatta patches like I put on my car cover are going for about $28 bucks now. I don't know what I paid for mine but I'm sure it wasn't that much.

$28 bucks is high. The patch I got has a white background. We trimmed it to follow the outline of the car and sewed it on the black jacket. I think it looks great.

On another note, tomorrow the Black gets its first oil change [at least by me].

• Like 1

The only thing I did with the Reatta today is drive it home which proved to be interesting. It started snowing just as I left my cottage for the hour drive home. I seriously thought about leaving it behind and take the winter 4x4 home, but it wasn't yet prepped to stay and go into storage. My cottage diary indicates we are about two weeks ahead of schedule, primarily the river water temperature, which was 38.4* this morning. The general pattern from years of taking notes has been that the river will be iced over within two weeks of the water temp. dropping below 40*. I may have exceeded the speed limit as I watched the indicated outside air temperature drop from 35 to 33*, but the roads have enough residual warmth so they were simply wet, and not yet time to add salt for melting.  A couple of notes from the cold weather driving is the car really likes it, with indicated inlet air temperature of 2*C, even though the filter is under the hood and the air runs through a turbocharger, the intercooler does its job well. The other note is Dave's red Reatta has attracted a speeding ticket for the new driver. I guess stepping up from a Dodge Neon with a broken valve in one cylinder will do that?

That's too bad about the ticket. What ever happened to "professional curtesy"? He will find that with good tires the Reatta handles really well in the winter weather...

I hope all that cold weather stays up there for a while. I'm enjoying driving my Reatta right now. Temperature was 71 here and the foliage is beautiful. I drove about 150 miles on some really cool back roads. We stopped at a little chapel out in the middle of nowhere where some of Kat's relatives are buried in a cemetery in the back. Swafford chapel sits on about 2-3 acres of land and it's surround by cow pastures as far as the eye can see (second photo). All owned by the Swafford family.

I came close to getting my windshield broken today. Going down the old road to the Chapel a big walnut fell out of a tree hanging over the road. It must have fell out of the very top because it hit with enough force that it sounded like someone had hit the windshield with a baseball bat. I haven't spotted any damage so far but it's a miracle that it's not broke.

Then on the way home we stopped at a very unique old trading post/general store sitting back off the road that I hadn't spotted before. We decided to see if we could get a photo of it and my Reatta. I had to drive down a gravel road about 200 yards to get to it. It was closed and no one was around but I left the motor running just in case I needed to make a fast getaway. Glad I did. This place still has a Wallace for president sign hanging on the wall outside (among a lot of other weird stuff) and we could hear gunfire on the mountain behind the building. I got a couple of quick photos and got the hell out of there. People in these parts (Pikeville, TN) don't take kindly to city folks nosing around. ?

IMG_20201025_143443630_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20201025_143550255_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20201025_145353993_HDR[1].jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful setting but; what, no banjo's???

Edited by 2seater

3 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

That's too bad about the ticket. What ever happened to "professional curtesy"? He will find that with good tires the Reatta handles really well in the winter weather...

Neighboring jurisdiction? With school and work, always in a hurry, much like his dad.

I suspect the tires on my car would be lousy in the winter, "Z" speed rated directional tires. Pretty sure the rubber compound for summer would be lousy in cold weather.

47 minutes ago, 2seater said:

What, no banjo's??

Haha. No, but it might be possible to get into a Deliverance situation in that part of TN. Those people are a little different. It's the only place I've been where the cemetery has graves in it like this from back in the early 1800s. It's kind of scary to think they are my wife's ancestors. ?

SwaffordGraves2.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, those are very interesting and downright cool. A good reason to keep the missus very, very happy?

When you look at those stones up close you can see most of them have markings on them where material has been chiseled away by hand to make them wedge shaped to form the radius of the tombs. The large square stones on the ends have the names and dates engraved on them. It must have took many days to make the tombs. The more I look at them the more I appreciate the work that went into them.

• Like 1