What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

I'm looking for a replacement cruise control lead. If I rebuild this one then I would have an extra steering column.  There is a maroon interior Reatta at Gibson's as well.

I bought this car 10 years ago with about 190,000 miles on it for $1500.00. Put on 125,000 miles [mostly business at 50 cent per mile tax deducion]. Total repairs about $2000 -2500.00 with a small fender bender that I made about $800.00 on. This car still runs great, but the minor repairs recently are driving me nuts and the replacement Reatta is in the garage also with 190,000 miles on it but bought for $1000. It was a stored winter car with a 9-10 interior and a 8-9 body. 

I am driving now without cruise and putting forth no more effort to repair it. 

Plates are due in March. They won't be renewed...

Edited by DAVES89

Dave89......So, you plan to just put a couple layers of tarp on it, and keep it for a future parts car?  Or better yet, do you have a storage building to stash her away?

I have a couple ideas for the '89 Black that hopefully will work out. If not then I will take what I know I will need or can sell and then off it goes to the local You Pick with the '89 Red that I bought about a year ago thinking that one was nicer then it was. I bought it sight unseen and when I drove there with a trailer I couldn't believe how much work it needed. So I talked the guy down a bit more and loaded it up and brought it home knowing that the parts I could sell were worth more then I paid.

But as I said storage is getting to be a premium so off they go. I'll still have three Reattas, one for summer, one for winter and the 'vert for the wife...

You willing to sell any parts off it to me before you let her go?  If so, I will need to look over mine and make a list.

Between what I already have in the parts bin and the cars I have I might be able to help. Let me know what you need.

Been a while since I started my Reatta. Been occupied with other stuff.  Turned the key and it fired right up. Raining so I didn't get to drive it.

I am glad that I have a Reatta for everyday driving. I really enjoy driving them.

On another note, my son in law bought himself a 3 D printer. I asked him to make a set of door handle end piece for my '88 Black. He brought them over last night. He did a great job and spent a lot of time on this even making the clip connector underneath the end piece.

I sent some pictures to Ronnie, maybe he will post the pictures for me.

• Agree 1

Below is a comparison between the factory caps and the ones made on a 3-D printer. Nice job on the caps Dave!

daves pull strap cap2.jpgdaves pull strap cap1.jpgdaves pull strap cap3.jpg

Thanks Ronnie!

As you can see the texture is a bit different on the top side, but other then that the clips are the same. he did a great job.

• Agree 1

And here is my driver's side door.......with that door handle end cap missing on the right side.  Are there any other sources for these little plastic caps?

Dave89......great son in-law you have to fabricate new ones for you.  I bet there is a supply of them sitting in some dusty old bin someplace, just screaming to come out and be put to use.

STA76425.thumb.JPG.4e2ad715a8cf3be9f2391c559cb03091.JPG

I had a High School shop teacher friend of mine make a bunch of the little plugs that go into the door at the handle end out of wood. Then I take the top cap pieces and attach them with double sided tape. Looks original.

Edited by DAVES89

I just met my future.

As we all know I drive one Reatta or another everyday of the year. This morning my wife and I were running errands and stopped at a grocery store for a couple last items. I stayed in the car and had parked by a highly optioned 1992/1993 Buick Riviera. It had the rivited wheels and a fake convertible top on it. Black over bronze with a tan leather interior. Really a very clean car.

Anyhow this old guy comes shuffling out from the store and as soon as I saw him I knew he was the owner, and I was right.

He gets in the car after letting the door "ding" the car next to him, putzs around doing who knows what and then leaves.

Because I have so many Reattas I am sure 20 years from now I'll still have one...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I thought I saw Dave89 when I cam shuffling out of the store today with my bottle of Ripple wine and a dozen Barvarian creams. Guess it took me awhile to munch down my snacks before leaving......and it will teach that guy not to park beside my bad azzz Riveria again.  Ha ha.

I go out every few days and take a look at my Reatta still inside the igloo, under its vinyl cover, with the battery tender attached looking like a heart monitor!  Sometimes, I actually open the driver door just to look inside at the flame red interior!  The Reatta sits aft of my 2000 Eldorado which is in the same predicament.  April can't come soon enough... 

I know I drive a Reatta everyday, but the Red is the one i enjoy driving. Hopefully it comes out in March as I too can't wait.

The '88 Black will be getting a new timing chain, sprocket and tensioner [courtesy of Kendal labor exchange as I am doing paver brick work for him] hopefully in March. Then the 'vert for the same thing.

Have to order gaskets from Rock Auto.

• Ronnie featured this topic

There is no snow on the roads today and the temperature is still below freezing so it was a perfect day for a "shake down" cruise with the '88 Black/Tan. I cleared all the codes and other then the Amber Anti Lock warning light the car ran great with no codes. It is really a nice clean car [interior a 9, exterior a 7-8] and has good rubber on the tires. The drivers front has a slow leak and the A/C will need a charge this spring, but I think I am really going to like this car. Especially for the $1000.00 I paid for it. I feel bad that it will be my next winter Reatta but that is the way it is. None of my cars will ever increase in value with the miles I put on them, but that's all right as I have always thought a car was meant to be driven...

Hal if you want the old '89 Black just come and get it [other then the accumulator ball and the "Truck lite" headlights and relay harness]. It has served me well and owes me nothing but I don't want to be the one to put it in Gibson's yard...

4 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Hal if you want the old '89 Black just come and get it [other then the accumulator ball and the "Truck lite" headlights and relay harness]. It has served me well and owes me nothing but I don't want to be the one to put it in Gibson's yard...

How long do I have? I expected this may come up later and I have no where to go with it right now.