What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

Today I took the '88 Black and it's like turning the clock back on the '89 Black. The seats are more plush, the struts are better giving me a more comfortable ride. I really was having remorse about letting the '89 Black go, but I guess it's like getting a new girlfriend [hard to remember as I've been married 40 years] . I'll miss having it around but now there are new memories to be made with the '88 Black.

I'm even thinking of leaving the Red in storage next summer just so I can get everything sorted out for next winter. My new winter car that was a 2010 Silver Award winner [I have the plaque]. Doesn't sound right but that's how it goes.

On another note the other reason for taking it out was to be sure everything was good with the radiator swap. Everything is good and no leaks.

Adios 89 Black,

"Getty Up, Hi Ho Silver Away 88 Black", as Dave drives the spurs into her romp.

Ole 88 will never make you late!

Will be a great ride, No Worries Mate!

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

Today I took the '88 Black and it's like turning the clock back on the '89 Black.

Did someone say black is black?

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Do they have suede bolsters?

They do. It is an early Reatta with suede bolsters, brown steering wheel cap [swapped out for the sunburst], and early Master Cylinder.

I did remove the driver's seat to take into the upholsterer as the thigh extension has a tear in the suede. I then swapped in a later passenger seat and think I will swap out the suede passenger seat with a later tan seat. That way I keep the suede seats nice for one of the other cars [the Red or the 'vert].

• 4 weeks later...

Went out to Gibson's to see what might have come in, no luck. Also looked for a steering wheel for Ronnie's pick up and no good luck there either. But I did see my last Roadmaster year 1993. It is maroon with a light gray cloth interior. I owned three Roadmasters and that one was my favorite. I sold it to a lady who was down on her luck and knew one day it would end up here. It has an after market powered sunroof I had installed which is the same one that I installed in my Reatta. Good to know for parts?...

No problem, I'll look again in a month or so as vehicles come in daily.

On another note, because the weather was so nice [about 50] I decided to swap parts around on the Black. I swapped in a different headlight switch and found it to have very dim back lighting. However my cruise now works 100% of the time, so I learned something new about these cars. Just because the little indicator light is on doesn't mean that that the cruise is going to work. Swapping in a different switch [once again a good reason to have tested back up parts] and all was good. My cruise works. 

Now I have to talk to Hal to see if he wants a working switch that's dim or a bright switch that has a bad cruise button. Or does he want to take the switch apart and swap parts?

So now there is an extra headlight and wiper switch for Hal in the cubby behind the driver's seat [and maybe I'll add one more headlight switch]... 

Edited by DAVES89

Decisions, decisions, decisions? Whatever is in the car will be just fine. 

Woke up the '91 Reatta, took the cover off, drove it out of the igloo and around the block a few times.  Today's mission was swapping around a few cars: moved the '00 Eldorado into another position within the igloo, moved the '14 Caddy ATS out of the garage and into the driveway for Spring/Summer/Fall.  Drove the Reatta into the garage for Spring/Summer/Fall.  Diane doesn't mind giving up her ATS' garage space since she always has me drive her car out/in the garage whenever she uses it.  Have to admit the one-car garage is pretty narrow.  Oil changes and annual MA inspection stickers are coming up for the Reatta and Eldo in April.  Then they'll be out and about daily.  Plan to drive the Eldo to a June Hemming's Motor News cruise-in at their Bennington, VT headquarters.  Also plan to drive the Reatta to the July BCA Nationals at Strongsville, OH.    

Edited by ship

On 3/7/2020 at 10:32 PM, 2seater said:

Decisions, decisions, decisions? Whatever is in the car will be just fine. 

The "working" switch in the '89 Black doesn't activate the brights. The Bright indicator in the IPC lights up but it stays in the dim or normal setting. I will look at other switches I have to enclose with the car.

3 hours ago, ship said:

Woke up the '91 Reatta, took the cover off, drove it out of the igloo and around the block a few times.  Today's mission was swapping around a few cars: moved the '00 Eldorado into another position within the igloo, moved the '14 Caddy ATS out of the garage and into the driveway for Spring/Summer/Fall.  Drove the Reatta into the garage for Spring/Summer/Fall.  Diane doesn't mind giving up her ATS' garage space since she always has me drive her car out/in the garage whenever she uses it.  Have to admit the one-car garage is pretty narrow.  Oil changes and annual MA inspection stickers are coming up for the Reatta and Eldo in April.  Then they'll be out and about daily.  Plan to drive the Eldo to a June Hemming's Motor News cruise-in at their Bennington, VT headquarters.  Also plan to drive the Reatta to the July BCA Nationals at Strongsville, OH.    

My garage is a bit bigger [22x28] and I have kind of the same deal with my wife. Her Enclave is in the garage all winter but when the 'vert and the Red comes out they get the garage and her car sits out. She's pretty good about it too.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

The "working" switch in the '89 Black doesn't activate the brights. The Bright indicator in the IPC lights up but it stays in the dim or normal setting. I will look at other switches I have to enclose with the car.

That sounds like it might be a bad Hi/Lo beam relay.

6 hours ago, ship said:

I wish I could be getting my Reatta ready for spring driving. Been busy with other things lately. Sounds like you have a full season planned for your cars.

You never get enough garage space.  My garage is 24x36 and it still feels cramped. Especially with a full size (short bed) GMC truck taking the place of my S10 Blazer. That thing looks gigantic compared to my Reatta.  If I had a garage twice as big I'd still have it filled up with stuff I don't need in no time.

SAM_4196.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

That sounds like it might be a bad Hi/Lo beam relay.

That would be that relay harness as I installed Truck-Lites in this car. They are LED and need the relay harness to turn the lights off and allow the pods to close. I'm not going to worry about it now as I will be removing this harness and bulbs as this car is only going to be with me for a month or less. I will be putting stock bulbs in for the "new" owner.

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I wish I could be getting my Reatta ready for spring driving. Been busy with other things lately. Sounds like you have a full season planned for your cars.

You never get enough garage space.  My garage is 24x36 and it still feels cramped. Especially with a full size (short bed) GMC truck taking the place of my S10 Blazer. That thing looks gigantic compared to my Reatta.  If I had a garage twice as big I'd still have it filled up with stuff I don't need in no time.

SAM_4196.JPG

Unfortunately, I cannot build an addition to my skinny one car garage.  Tried but had to get a property variance which the town and neighbors rejected.  So, I put up a two car igloo which the town considers a "temporary structure" right at the edge of my property line (without any setback).  It's been there since 2008!

Ronnie...I once owned a 2001 S10 Blazer 4X4 two door. Bought it new, traded in a 1996 Riviera for it.  That S10 was one of the best cars I've ever owned...never should have sold it...had only 22K miles on it when I sold it in 2007.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ship said:

Ronnie...I once owned a 2001 S10 Blazer 4X4 two door. Bought it new, traded in a 1996 Riviera for it.  That S10 was one of the best cars I've ever owned...never should have sold it...had only 22K miles on it when I sold it in 2007.  

I still have my '99 Blazer sitting outside. I have plans to sell it but I'm having trouble letting go. It's still in good shape but being a 2 door it's not a good people hauler and it's not a good replacement for a truck. I've had it since 2002 so it feels like part of our family.

• Like 1

I spent the day removing the "add on" parts I installed in the Black '89 over the years. That included my Mp 3 lead, truck lites/wiring harness, power amp lead and sub woofer and then of course installing original equipment [headlights, fog lights, stock speakers]. I had to redo the speaker wire ends as someone in the past cut off the connectors. It was a long day but now the car is ready for pick up.

Yesterday I did a little cleaning on my Reatta. It has been sitting under the cover in the garage but it still attracts a lot of dust. My cover has been washed so many times that it's worn to the point you can almost see through it.  I'll probably get another one soon if I can find a cheap one on sale.

I wiped it down good with some detailing spray using microfiber towels and applied some leather dressing to the upholstery. The old gal still cleans up pretty good for her age.  It's not a show car but that's not what I expect it to be.  As long as it passes the 10 foot rule I'm happy.