First week with my Reatta

Posti

Week 10 with my Reatta - I changed oil and filter, but otherwise have just been driving the car.  The Engine Electrical error code comes up very rarely now, so I have not swapped out the camshaft sensor and interrupter (they are in the trunk when I get the urge).  I did get in a neat item - a dealer promo solar calculator.  It is new in the box with all the paperwork and cloth case.  I can say with confidence that the Reatta is the most comfortable, best-driving car that I own (I have 8, all very different).  Neighbors and car-club friends have already cued up to buy it 'when I get tired of it.'  They are likely to be waiting a very long time!

reatta_calc1.thumb.jpg.77a8618cefbb601b554d127e1f3407bf.jpg

reatta_calc2.thumb.jpg.da573807520bbf4b48dca514e40210ab.jpg

That's funny Bob, I saw that on eBay and thought about buying it but got distracted. Great find though! There was a few money clips/knife on there too but I also got side tracked on those.

I added 1 horsepower to my Reatta this week (See photo).  :grin.  The roof is now a little faster than the rest of the car.  I also recolored the carpet back to its original Sapphire Blue using a water-based dye that does not stiffen the carpet.  This has made a huge difference to the interior, as the carpet had faded to a gray-blue.  Details are contained in another post.  The car got a good bath, and other than that, I have driven it as much as possible.  It remains a delight.  If the weather holds this week, I plan to get a spare wheel from the local parts car to try refinishing, as well as some interior plastic trim I can try recoloring with Leather Dye's vinyl paint.  The passenger window has stopped working, but I do not know if it is the switch or the motor.  I'll try the switch first, as I have a new replacement setup.  Motors are surprisingly cheap (under $30), but I will wait until I replace the passenger door panel if that is required.

reatta_horse_1200.thumb.jpg.11e72f1d85666b863b595b423e68b794.jpg

Extra horsepower is always good but I don't know if 1 horsepower is worth having to live with a horse's ass in your windshield all the time. :D :D :D 

I look forward to hearing how the plastic dye works for you. A lot of people have used SEM paint made for that purpose to color Reatta interior plastic trim with good success.

BTW, the car looks great! What do you use to make the tires look so black without making them look shiny and greasy looking like a lot of the tire dressings do?

• Haha 1

I've been often told there is already a horse's rear end behind the windshield! :grin. I use Maguire's Tire Black - a spray dressing that dries matte.

• Haha 1

Week 12 - Hard to believe it's only been 3 months since I bought the Reatta - from the parts, literature, and do-dads littering the house you'd think I had owned it for a decade!  More coming in - I got a lapel pin/tie tack off eBay I am hoping to get in before I leave for the National AACA Membership Meeting in Philadelphia this weekend.  The car is running better than ever - a curious side note is that the engine electrical code that kept popping up before has been missing for almost two weeks now, despite a lot of driving and temperatures ranging from 20 degrees to 70 degrees.  I touched up the driver's side floor mat with some of the leftover carpet dye - where my heel hit pushed the pile apart enough to see some faded 'roots'.  As reported in another post, I also used the car for some Boy Scout merit badge training.  The kids liked the Reatta a lot.  By the way - that is not me with the Scouts - I was taking the picture.  The Scouts are looking at the tire size/pressure sticker on the door as part of the tire maintenance training.

reatta_scouts.thumb.jpg.ab37ea44d2c47fd16cb0b99741821696.jpg

WEEK 13

It was a slow week for the Reatta - I went off to Philadelphia for the annual membership meeting of the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA).  The Reatta did get featured in one of my seminars, at least.  Still running great, and I have not seen the Engine Control warning code in more than a month.  I got in my Reatta lapel pin in time for the Philly meeting.  I am hoping to pick up a spare wheel at the junk yard tomorrow.  Still loving the car!

Week 14 - No new accomplishments.  The engine electrical code still has not reappeared, which is nice.  I had one worry when the red brake warning light came on for about 30 seconds while I was driving.  No loss of brakes or fluid, and it has not reoccurred.  I still have not had a chance to pick up the spare wheel out of the salvage yard.  On the plus side, the car continues to run and drive wonderfully well.  About 2000 miles since I bought it.

• 2 weeks later...

Another uneventful week (Number 15!) with the Reatta.  It is running great.  The Engine Electronics code came on twice, but the brake light stayed off except for startup.  Driving the car mostly only on weekends now, as it is registered as an antique.  I am thinking about registering it for normal road use instead - it should sail through inspection with no issues.  I do want to get the windshield washer working.  Could just need the jets cleaned out.  I just called the junkyard on the wheel which I have not picked up yet and got a price of $35!  Heading out now!

ADDENDUM:  He who snoozeth, looseth.  Some filthy lowlife scumbag bought all four wheels!  Just because I wassled for three months before finally going back for one didn't mean I did not want one!  :grin.  I forgot the basic tenent of old car parts - if you see it and think you might need it, buy it.  Oh, well.  I will just have to use the wheels I have.  At least my planned restoration is low-key and has already worked on the center caps.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Reatta. I may get antique tags for mine this year. I drive mine almost every evening in the Summer but it still sits in the garage about 90% of the time. I don't know anyone with an antique tag that has been stopped and questioned about where they are going or how much they are driving. With my luck I would be the first. :)

Going into Week 16! The Engine Code popped up a couple of times, but has not been an issue. Temperatures have ranged from 28 degrees to 85 degrees, and the car runs perfectly. The brake light has not come on again other than startup. The driver's side rub strip is coming loose at the back - I heard a 'slap' sound when I shut the door and saw it hanging slightly away from the door. I'll have to get some weatherstrip adhesive on it before it comes off! Oh, a Reatta popped up on the local (Norfolk) Craig's List for $1900 - I check every day. This one is silver with a blue interior and 143K miles. Sunroof and 16-way seat. Looks like the clear coat is bad, and the ABS and Service Engine lights are on.

WEEK 17 - I used 3M Emblem and Trim adhesive to get the side rub strip secured.  Getting the piece to stay in place was a challenge - I finally used lengths of plywood to hold the trim against the door.  Other than that, the car has been running great.  The 1990 Reatta for sale on the local Craigs List (Norfolk) has dropped to $1300.  No temptation as I have no space or funds for more cars, but I have to admit to wishful thinking!  As the weather warms up, I have several projects in mind: refinishing the wheels, replacing the ABS front leads, replacing the radio speakers, and replacing the right interior door panel.

Week 18 - I will change over to posting only when something comes up after this - the car has been running great and having no issues at all.  I am tempted to register it for the Charlotte AACA National Show coming up next month and drive it down from Norfolk.  I have until tomorrow to make that decision.  I have never seen a Reatta at a National Meet, but then I do not go to many.  Only new thing is a fitted car cover off eBay that arrived late last week - very tight fit, but it should stay on a lot better than the generic cover I had secured with rope and bungee cords.

I have never been to an AACA meet. I'm considering going to the one in Charlotte as a spectator. My car isn't nice enough for the show. There should be several Reattas there.

Ronnie you are way to humble. You have one of the nicest ones around. You don't have to have it judged, you can just register it and then be able to park your car in the "yard" and walk the grounds.

Ronnie you are way to humble. You have one of the nicest ones around. You don't have to have it judged, you can just register it and then be able to park your car in the "yard" and walk the grounds.

Thanks Dave. Do you intend to go to the Charlotte meet?