cooling fan

Robert

Can anyone tell me if the radiator cooling fan should keep running after car is shut off.If so mine is not any idea why not.Sincerely Robert

My problem is while driving my electric radiator fan runs fine cooling the engine and cooling system,but once I shut the car off the electric radiator cooling fan shut's off and my engine coolant temperature continues to rise.I am trying to find out if the fan is supposed to keep running for a certain period of time after shutting the car off to cool down the system.If it is still supposed to continue running mine does not.What cotrols the fan and tell it to keep running after car is shut off to cool down the system.

Sorry, I didn't read close enough. I will delete my other post.

3 minutes ago, Robert said:

am trying to find out if the fan is supposed to keep running for a certain period of time after shutting the car off to cool down the system.I

I'm not certain about the '91 but I don't think the fan runs after you turn the key off. It doesn't on all the other models.

I have been told that their is supposed to be a sensor that monitors the engine compartment and if it is to hot the cooling fan will continue running after the engine is shut off to cool the compartment and coolant system down.It's called a sun load sensor

Sun load sensor is for the interior of the car to fine tune the amount of a/c cooling required. I am with Ronnie on the '91 but both my '89 and '90 are powered from ignition so they shut-off with the key.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

" once I shut the car off the electric radiator cooling fan shut's off and my engine coolant temperature continues to rise. "

I think that's normal. Reattas 3800 was designed to run hot. I don't think it is anything to be worried about unless it's getting hot while driving.

The 1991's do not allow the fan to continue after the vehicle is turned off, identical to other year Reatta's.  Seems like your Reatta is operating correctly.

• Like 1